Valve released some more Steam Deck Beta Client updates recently, one of them including an interesting new Gyro mode so here's all the details on what's new.
The October 10th update for Steam Deck added in:
- New "Laser Pointer" Gyro 3DOF to 2D Conversion mode: The Cursor is driven up, down, left and right due to an imaginary ray pointing out of the front of the controller/through the SteamDeck Screen. This mode is most appropriate for mouse cursor movement/UI interaction.
- Fix for SteamDeck Gyro offset angle defaults being set incorrectly.
- Minor UI tidying.
On desktop Steam for October 10th, Valve also noted they fixed "a case where proton related configuration options could show up on Windows based systems", plus there was an update in the client for SteamVR Beta that included:
- Restored ability to add an individual desktop window, using a button directly on the dashboard.
- Desktop windows now show their actual icon in addition to their name.
- Fixed cases where binding callouts would stay up even when they should be dismissed.
Index Controller Firmware
- Fixed a bug where haptics could stop responding after playing certain repeated haptics events.
Additionally for October 11th across both desktop and Steam Deck (client updates are often the same) there was this update:
- Added support for the PowerA Nintendo Switch Nano Wired Controller
- Fix microtransactions dialog failing to reopen if the overlay was closed without canceling the transaction.
Plus for SteamVR Beta they also added a clicking sound when typing.
Sadly for me, SteamVR 2.0 Beta still just doesn't work on Kubuntu 23.04. I really hope Valve don't roll this into stable without fixing up that issue. There's various reports on their GitHub with Linux users having it broken entirely.