The work modders are doing to make Half-Life: Alyx not just playable but actually fun on traditional screens continues to impress, with the Half-Life: Alyx NoVR mod's latest animation upgrade out now. Still not done yet though, although this is a big step forward for the project.
Check out the update trailer:
Here's the main additions in the update:
- Alyx’s animated arms and hands.
- Firing, idle, reload and holster animations for all weapons and grenades.
- Upgrades for all weapons that can be visually seen with each enhancement.
- Combine Fabricator changes for easier use by the player.
- Reflex sight upgrades highlighting enemy weak points.
- Dedicated inspect button.
- Additional toner puzzles added throughout the game.
- Enhanced flashlight.
- Updated HUD with 3 animated hearts (not available on Steam Deck).
- Fixes to the Jeff and Strider encounters for a smoother gameplay experience.
- Other bug fixes and updates throughout the entire game.
- Multi-tool (can be equipped and is animated but currently not functional).
More work is coming from their roadmap including making the full UI work on Steam Deck too. I haven't tested it for a while but even before this update is was massively impressive work. While playing it in VR is what it was designed for, and the best experience, that's simply not accessible to everyone.