EmulationStation Desktop Edition is a frontend for browsing and launching games from your multi-platform game collection, it's pretty great and the latest version 2.2 is out now with loads of improvements and new system additions.
With the 2.2 release they added in features like cleanup tools for orphaned data, file hash searching for the scraper, clipboard paste support, ability to change systems sorting from the GUI and more complete Unicode support. There's upgrades to the theme system to allow rounded corners for images, videos and animations, horizontally scrolling text containers and stationary elements and for Linux / Steam Deck there's also now support for running Windows emulators using Wine or Proton too!
Some of the new systems supported in this release include the Coleco Adam (adam), Acorn Archimedes (archimedes), Console Arcade Systems (consolearcade), Acorn Electron (electron), Fujitsu FM-7 (fm7), Bit Corporation Gamate (gamate), LaserDisc Games (laserdisc), Sega NAOMI 2 (naomi2), Nokia N-Gage (ngage), PC Arcade Systems (pcarcade), Commodore Plus/4 (plus4), Sega Titan Video Game System (stv), Funtech Super A'Can (supracan), Symbian (symbian), Namco-Sega-Nintendo Triforce (triforce), Taito Type X (type-x), Microsoft Windows 3.x (windows3x), Microsoft Windows 9x (windows9x) and AdvanceMAME (mame-advmame).
Plenty of Linux-specific changes too including:
- Changed the Flycast AppImage find rules so that they don't collide with the Flycast Dojo AppImage.
- Added support for the Microsoft Xbox 360 (xbox360) game system by running xenia via Wine or Proton.
- Added support for the Atari Jaguar CD (atarijaguarcd) game system by running BigPEmu via Wine or Proton.
- Added BigPEmu Wine and BigPEmu Proton as alternative emulators for the atarijaguar system.
- Added Model 2 Emulator Wine and Model 2 Emulator Proton as alternative emulators for the model2 system.
- Added 3dSen Wine and 3dSen Proton as alternative emulators for the famicom and nes systems.
- Added support for the Visual Pinball (vpinball) game system.
- Added support for using the RetroArch AppImage release in portable mode (added corepath find rules).
- Added support for the AppImage release of Snes9x.
- Added support for the Flatpak release of Cemu and Supermodel.
- Added support for the Snap release of Dolphin.
- Added the PCSX2 Flatpak release to the non-legacy PCSX2 find rule configuration.
- Updated the DuckStation find rules as the AppImage release filename has changed.
- Updated the Citra find rules as the AppImage release filename has changed.
- Unified the desktop OpenGL and OpenGL ES renderers and upgraded to OpenGL 3.3 (4.6 on the Steam Deck) and OpenGL ES 3.0 respectively.
Plus masses of other changes listed in the changelog.