dotAGE is a challenging turn-based village builder, one that will suck away a lot of your time. It's a genuinely great game and it only keeps getting better! Now it has controller support, as the dev works towards being Steam Deck Verified and it already has Native Linux support too.
"Dotage has deep worker placement mechanics inspired by board games. Build your village and assign your workers to their daily tasks, grow crops, herd animals, bury corpses, forge tools, upgrade buildings, train professionals, and produce dozens of resources. Each turn, the Domains, the forces that govern the world, will unleash increasingly powerful events on your village. From poison, to disease, to earthquakes, to kittens. Will you be able to survive them all and find out what is causing the apocalypse?"
I actually missed writing it up when it released back in early October — woops! The developer did send over a key, and I've spent a number of hours with it recently and it has been quite hard to put down. You really do want just one more turn to see what it's going to throw at you next. Having proper controller support too, that's going to make staying away from it in bed with a Steam Deck quite difficult.
The controller support uses Steam Input, with official Xbox and Steam Deck layouts, and seamless switching between mouse/keyboard and controller along with plenty of UI improvements for controller players.
Other stuff that's new:
New Feature: Doomsday Mechanic
- Added new Doomsday mechanic. This allows snowballing runs to end sooner.
- Doomsday Tower building is unlocked if you research the whole tree, or if you complete a game
- Building the Doomsday Tower will trigger the Apocalypse immediately
New Feature: Mini-Apocalypses
- Added mini Apocalypse events!
- They work like Omens that do not increase threat level, and they come at a reduced strength (-2) compared to the current threat
- They have effects similar to Omens, and take from their pools
- They always happen 3 days before the corresponding Apocalypse
- Added new building, Doomsday Tower, tied to the Doomsday mechanic
- Added new building, Large Buoy, as an upgrade to Buoy
- Added new building, Stone Toolmaker, as an upgrade to Stone Workbench
New Score Formula
- Pips and Buildings now give 0 points for scoring
- Protected Events now give 200 points instead of 100
- Saved turns now give 300 points
- Added glyphs to Tutorial
- Highscore tables are now separated per Elder
- Revised highscore screen to support new scoring
- Cycle pulsing now won't zoom anymore on creatures and will pulse only one at a time
- Added "minimum font size" setting
- Added a few controller-specific settings
- Added several new hotkeys
- Added hint for Doomsday Tower
- Added new UI and text for Mini-Apocalypses
Available to buy from: