Against the Storm is a dark fantasy city builder where you must rebuild civilization in the face of apocalyptic rains, and the recent 1.0 release came with it being Steam Deck Verified but the developer hasn't stopped making improvements for Steam Deck in version 1.1 out now.
While version 1.1 did bring some new content like unique portraits for all traders, new decorations, new orders, new sound effects, notifications with auto-pause, UI improvements and more it's nice to see them also focus on Steam Deck too. For the v1.1 update the Steam Deck changes are:
- Changed the way the trackpad works in the Steam Deck version of the game when using the controller layout. Instead of acting like an analog stick, it now behaves like a real mouse trackpad.
- When starting fresh on the Steam Deck, the game will now automatically load the medium graphics preset and have uncapped FPS by default for a smoother experience.
However, they've also subsequently released a couple of hotfixes with more changes including in v1.1.2:
- Fixed an issue with the Enter key not committing changes on the Steam Deck's virtual keyboard.
- We temporarily reversed the recent changes to the default Steam Deck controller layout to avoid the cursor issues.
Here they also noted they were aware of an issue "that prevents Steam Deck players from starting a new settlement from the World Map" that they were looking into. Following that, version 1.1.4 was released and further noted these Steam Deck improvements:
- Fixed a bug where the Right Trigger would stop working when using the trackpad (when playing with the official controller layout).
- Fixed a bug where the controller pointer would disappear in the embarkation panel and citadel.
Really nice to see the developer, Eremite Games, really pay attention to their Steam Deck support and fix issues as they get found. It's one thing to get Steam Deck Verification from Valve's own testing, it's another to directly support it like this.
Against the Storm is Steam Deck Verified and has a Platinum rating on ProtonDB. It also has an Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam and has proven to be very popular.
Original release trailer:
Against the Storm is available to buy from: