Pocketpair formed another studio called Frontside 180 that are working on Never Grave: The Witch and The Curse, which looks a whole lot like Hollow Knight. This might ease the wait for Silksong huh?
While it may look a lot like Hollow Knight for the style it's actually quite a different game overall. Plenty of elements of it feel like Dead Cells, but there's a hint of Skul: The Hero Slayer with a possession mechanic too and there's even a whole village-building element to it. There's also going to be online co-op support for up to 4 players. Overall it does actually look quite good:
- Metroidvania x Roguelite with an emphasis on exploration.
- Sophisticated and tactilely designed player character controls.
- Possession system where hats can possess enemies and use their unique abilities.
- Traditional Japanese hand-drawn limited animation is used for character 2D animation.
- Thickly painted backgrounds with depth, as if you are travelling through a world of picture books and cut-out pictures.
- Learn actions such as double-jump from artefacts to explore new areas.
- Constantly changing play style depending on the synergy of "traits" associated with magic and items.
- Intense battles with tough bosses. It will take more than just memorizing boss patterns to defeat them without taking damage...
- Rebuild your village. Strengthen yourself through building and production to prepare for the next adventure.
- Explore different terrain each time you play through procedurally generated dungeons.
- Multiplayer support. Up to four players can delve into the dungeon together!
Due to enter Early Access sometime in Q1 2024. This will make Pocketpair's 4th game to be in Early Access following Craftopia, AI: Art Impostor and Palworld that are all currently in development.
There's a demo available now which in my testing seemed to work quite well on Desktop Linux with Proton 8.0-5.
Check it out on Steam.