Good news for fans of brutal FPS games, as the developer of Heretic-inspired AMID EVIL [Steam] has said they have plans for a Linux version.
Coming across it today, I decided to ask on their official Steam forum about the possibility of Linux support. Thinking we might get the usual "we're thinking on it" response, instead I got a much more solid and clear "It's planned!" (source). They also said "Sometime post launch. No timeframe yet unfortunately", so we still have a bit of a wait, but fantastic to know it's coming.
Here's a look at the "Hordes of Evil" Endless Mode that will be available, it gives you a good idea of the gameplay:
- SEVEN distinct episodes each featuring a completely different setting and enemies
- LUDICROUS magical weaponry that can be overcharged with the souls of the dead
- ENDLESS Hordes of Evil to hone your skills against
- BRUTAL and adaptive enemy AI that will hunt you down on land, sea and air
- SPRAWLING non-linear levels filled with secrets and ancient lore
- MULTITUDES of in-game options and cheat codes for a truly golden PC age experience
- EPIC original & dynamic soundtrack composed by Andrew Hulshult
- BUILT in Unreal Engine 4 for cutting edge visuals (even if they are a bit retro)
- OPTIMIZED to run on a toaster (a pretty nice toaster)
It's funny really, they're extremely open about how much they love Heretic, with their Steam FAQ post having this in it:
Is this basically Heretic UE4?
Will keep you updated when we hear more about the Linux release. Lovely to see more FPS games on their way!