Atomic Space Command [Steam, Official Site] is a new Early Access space battle arena where you build your ship and team up with your friends to take on enemies.
It's a fun idea, as you build your ship yourself with different parts and fight online either with or against your friends. You have to hire crew, who can be managed in an almost FTL-style way during the game. You can set them to different sections of the ship to help out, like engines or the reactor for bonuses. You pilot the ship directly with multiple styles of controls, and you are in control of the power distribution to different systems across your ship.
It's clearly in the early stages and so it has no single-player missions. The main problem right now is that the game is relying on online play, with almost zero players in it.
I do have a spare key, if anyone is interested in trying it out with me. I like the idea, but I will reserve more thoughts until I can actually play it properly.
* Explore the solar system with up to 8 player-controlled ships on your team.
* Compete in local and online co-op multiplayer gameplay.
* Devise spaceborne strategies with ship crew management and simulation features.
* Challenge other players in the PvP arena or fly solo in PvE.
* Customize your ship with dozens of parts, a unique crew, and a variety of powerful Atomic Commanders.
* Share command of a ship and its systems with a friend -- or brave the dangers of space alone.
* Build bases on planets to expand and resupply your fleet.
* Decorate your ship with tons of vanity items -- including trails, ship decals, snap-on decorations, and crew skins.
About the author - Liam Dawe