I can count with the fingers of a single hand the number of comics I read in my whole life, and the Battle Chasers aren't the exception; though, if this upcoming game is being loyal to their style and tone, I have to say I would be more tempted to do so. Personally, I don't expect for games to have state-of-the-art technology behind their graphics, but I care a lot about the artistic design, and this one truly seems to deliver on that. Plus, if you check this news on the official site, after a successful Kickstarter campaign they announced to be completely funded by Nordic Games without sacrificing the creative control of the project, so basically the quality of the game now simply relies on how talented they are and how well they spend the budget on the game.
So far there isn't an accurate release date yet, but apparently it will be next year. The good news though is that the requirements for Linux/SteamOS are already listed in the Steam store page, which I think it's an excellent sign. Will we be having a Day-1 release with this title, perhaps?
I will definitely keep an eye on Battle Chasers: Nightwar starting now. What are your initial impressions about it?
Official site: Battle Chasers: Nightwar (Note: It isn't mentioned on the Steam store page; I found it after visiting the Nordic Games site)
- Official site
About the game (Official)
Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the classic console greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in a classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world.
- Plan for survival. The desolate town of Harm's Way is your only place to prepare. Choose three of the many heroes you've unlocked, fill your travel backpack with items from your stash, make sure you've chosen the best equipment and abilities for each hero... and then strike out
- Explore an overworld presented in classic form (and in real time), peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes, as well as a useful arsenal of Dungeon Abilites[sic] for every character
- Old-school combat inspired by the console RPG greats, with a unique two-tiered mana system and turn-based initiative, featuring random buffs and debuffs on initiative slots
- Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero's unique dungeon skills to survive
- Non-linear story driven by the discovery of lore on items, landmarks and secret elements in the world. Discovering these will both provide deeper insight into the mysterious Lost Vale, and also reward lore points, which are used to upgrade the heroes' different abilities
- Truly key story moments will be depicted in gorgeous, traditional 2D animation from Powerhouse Animation Studios (the studio that did the animated Darksiders cutscenes). For these, sit back and enjoy
The best-selling comic book Battle Chasers was first released in the late '90s and quickly generated a passionate cult following.
Some you may have missed, popular articles from the last month: