Inspired by the classic game Holiday Island, Summer Islands recently entered Early Access and the developer has now added Linux support to it on Steam.
Summer Islands is a game about building the perfect resort, so it's a business sim city-builder. You will need to manage your finances, as you attempt to attract more tourists.
- Randomly generated worlds with seeds
- Real-time strategic gameplay in the server-client architecture
- Single player with various challenging campaigns.
- Multiplayer so you can play with friends.
- Computer enemies in single and multiplayer mode.
- Various buildings and recreational facilities as well as special attractions, auctions, sabotage and some unpredictable disasters.
- Map editor to create and play your own world.
Built by a small 3-person team, I spoke with the developer ahead of the Linux release to help them sort out the Steam configuration and it's now running quite nicely. As someone who spent tons of time in their youth playing Holiday Island, I adore the style of this, so I hope to see great things from it. However, it is Early Access and there's a lot of rough edges to keep in mind. This is a proper Early Access game, not something mostly finished thrown up for testing.
You can see some current plans they have for their game on their public Trello Roadmap. They're hoping to finish Early Access this year but no set date.
Find Summer Islands on Steam.