SuperTux, a name I've not heard in quite some time, a free and open source platformer inspired by Super Mario Bros is still chugging along and it's heading towards a new release.
It's currently on the third alpha release of their 0.6.0 update which sounds like it's quite an evolution for the game. Here's the highlights of what's new:
- Complete revamp of the rendering engine, the game should be much faster than it was previously
- It now support OpenGL 3.3 Core as well as OpenGL ES 2.0, thus allowing SuperTux to be run on the Raspberry Pi, and potentially WebGL.
- A few graphics have been updated, and effects have been added including various effects and shaders
- Support for right-to-left languages through vector fonts. This will also fix a few non-ASCII characters, which often caused problems before in translations
- Forest worldmap redesigned with new levels and other redesigned levels
- A lot of other under-the-hood changes and bugfixes
- Official Linux binaries
While we have a lot of indie games and some AAA games now, it's always nice to see games like this continue along. After trying out Alpha 3 with the AppImage, it worked really quite nicely. Could be a rather nice game for a younger audience. It's free after all, why not give it a go.
You can download it from their GitHub page, under the GPL license.
Hat tip to AngryPenguin.