If you need a sprinkle of comedy in your life, the comedic point and click adventure Guard Duty looks like it could hit the spot.
Not one I had heard of until today, I will be honest. Looking over it, Guard Duty was funded on Kickstarter back in March of 2017. Linux was noted as a platform back then and they're still very clearly advertising Linux support—awesome!
While it has obvious retro inspirations, complete with hand-crafted pixel art that looks right out of the 90's it does actually look really damn good.
It will feature (according to the developer):
- A full stand-alone game spanning across two drastically different time zones – Past or future, choose your actions wisely. This is not a tale for the faint of heart.
- Full voice acting - Over 6000 lines of fully voiced dialogue.
- Hundreds of detailed animations – Be it the flicker of candlelight, leaves blowing in the wind or the jaws of a giant Wrinkleworm you can be sure those pixels will be pulling their weight.
- Bespoke music and sound – Guard Duty features over 30 unique musical compositions with hundreds of sound effects created in-house specifically for this project.
- Cross-platform support of cloud saves.
- Integrated 'to-do list' keeps track of current goals and objectives – Never lose sight of your goal, Guard Duty features a familiar RPG styled quest tracking system.
- Streamlined inventory and puzzle design – The feel of a classic, without all the faff. Puzzles are logical with an intuitive interface, Guard Duty features a modern mentality to game design whilst retaining a classic aesthetic.
The actual release is currently being said as sometime this Spring, however they said a final date should be given out sometime soon.
Find out more and wishlist on Steam.