You face wave after wave of increasingly bizarre enemies named The Krin, from little crawling bots right up to big spiralling balls of black death that engulf everything. It's absolute bloody madness, but it's also pretty darn fun. Here's a more recent quick trailer to give you an idea of what I'm babbling on about:
- Addictive and intense twin-stick action- Over 50 waves filled with complex enemies and old-school bosses
- Many powerful, strategic weapons to choose from
- Specially tailored upgrade paths enabling different play-styles
- Various endings and secrets to unlock
- Online leader board to challenge your friends
- 5 difficulty ratings, from beginner to bullet-hell god
- Adaptive environment: No play-through will look the same
- Play with mouse & keyboard, keyboard only or your gamepad
- Local cooperative multiplayer with up to 8 gamepads
It certainly wins a few points from me for weirdness, the good kind though mind you. You can find the demo on the official site. It runs pretty well on Linux, so that's a good sign for the release. The demo ended where it got seriously interesting too—damn. Just when it looked like it was going to get really quite difficult, what a hook.
A release is due sometime in May this year. Definately a game I'm excited to play to the end!