Ultima 7, what a classic. Released originally back in 1992 it continues to live on thanks to open source. Exult is a FOSS game engine for it and it finally has a fresh release.
16 years in the making! The last stable update for Exult was back in 2004. The release actually marked the 28th anniversary of Ultima VII - The Black Gate too, so they picked the timing for it nicely. Like with a lot of open source projects, it took time due to real life and some developers moving on to other things.
A massive update too, some of the highlights include:
- Better pathfinding when the party boards a barge
- Fixed most inexplicable crashes
- Separate settings for fullscreen and windowed mode possible
- SDL 2 for modern system support
- NxBR and HQ3x/HQ4x scalers
- Some more combat options to make charmed combat more difficult
- Serpent Isle Beta version works
- Schedules got a work-over and are more closer to the original but not yet perfect
- Shortcut bar with important shortcuts right on top of the screen
- Tons of bug fixes
It needs a copy of the data for Ultima 7, which you can get easily from GOG.com.