Here's an open source game engine reimplementation you don't hear about much. GemRB, for Bioware's Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment games had a new release recently.
Nice to see another FOSS project still going, with this being the first release in two years! Recently 0.8.6 released, here's what's new:
- more audio, especially in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment
- sndchann.2da support
- using bags in stores, NPC breaking points, worldmap travel in Planescape: Torment
- better megamod and detectable spells compatibility
- Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment levelup, infopoints, gui feedback, dualclassing, ranges
- verbal constants, (tobex) opcodes, falling, paperdolls, projectiles
- Planescape: Torment area animations, multipalette animations
What's the current status of GemRB? You can play through Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Icewind Dale with Planescape: Torment "roughly completable" too and work continues on Icewind Dale 2 compatibility.
See more on the official site here.
Hat tip to Lightkey.