Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is a rather popular punishing climbing game, made as a tribute to Jazzuo's 2002 B-Game classic 'Sexy Hiking' and it now has a Linux build.
Originally, you needed to opt into a Beta to access it. Going by the posts in the announcement thread on Steam, it seems you might not need to opt into anything now.
About the game:
A game I made
For a certain kind of person
To hurt them.
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is a punishing climbing game, a homage to Jazzuo's 2002 B-Game classic 'Sexy Hiking'. You move the hammer with the mouse, and that's all there is. With practice, you'll be able to jump, swing, climb and fly. Great mysteries and a wonderful reward await the master hikers who reach the top of the mountain.
To quote Jazzuo himself: "The hiking action is very similar to way you would do it in real life, remember that and you will do well".
- Climb up an enormous mountain with nothing but a hammer and a pot.
- Listen as I make philosophical observations about the problem at hand.
- Between 2 and ∞ hours of agonizing gameplay, depending. The median time to finish for my playtesters was 5 hours, but the mean was closer to ∞.
- Lose all your progress, over and over.
- Feel new types of frustration you didn't know you were capable of.
- Magical reward awaits hikers who reach the top.
Currently, the normal ending doesn't seem to work on Linux. The developer said the third-party code they use for it isn't supported on Linux. So do keep that in mind if you intend to purchase it and test.