One interesting title we missed over the holiday break (hello, we're back!) is Heartbound. It's an Early Access "non-traditional" RPG from developer Pirate Software.
I have to admit I needed to look a little closer with this one, with their claim of it not being a normal RPG experience. They say that they've done away with levels, experience and consumable items. According to them, everything is skill-based and things change based on your relationships or things you've done. Sounds pretty interesting!
- Follow Lore and Baron on their adventures through time and space.
- Handle combat through a series of unique mini-games with varying objectives.
- Change the story through exploration and interaction with the world.
- A massive series of optional cryptographic puzzles that can be solved as a community.
- Varying environments with unique pixel art, an inspired soundtrack, and tons of extra socks.
- That awful feeling when you do something terrible to someone who loves you.
- More gags than you can shake a stick at. Binder can lend you one of his if you don't bring your own.
While it's in Early Access right now, they're aiming for a "mid to late 2019" full release. Right now though, it seems to work rather nicely on my low-powered Kubuntu 18.10 Intel laptop which is sweet. I must admit, a quick go of the demo has me pretty interested in the game and finding out what's going on!