KeeperRL, a dungeon simulator with a mixture of roguelike and RPG mechanics had another massive update at the end of last month.
One of the biggest additions to the game in a long time, is the introduction of Z-levels. You're no longer confined to a flat space to build, since you can dig deep to get extra resources, encounter new enemies and more. This really does change how you play the game quite a lot, giving you so much more breathing room to make a massive dungeon, it's going to keep me coming back a lot more.
The developer has long said KeeperRL is an "ambitious" game and this feature certainly makes that even more true.
Other highlights of this release:
- Items can be upgraded using glyphs.
- Two new random locations: temples and ruins.
- Dragon AI learns how to breathe fire.
- Added leisure zone, where minions go when idle.
- Throwing items, firing ranged weapons and casting ranged spells have free instead of directional aim.
- AI tries to create formations when fighting in open areas.
- Tree spirits can be set on fire, and will actively seek out water to put it out.
- Improved character creation menu.
- Better RAM use
- Multiple other AI improvements, new features and bug fixes