Ah Minecraft the massively popular sandbox building/survival game from Mojang, it's still going strong and still getting big updates too, next up is 1.6!
In 1.6 they have stated we will be getting a new game Launcher which will be a vast improvement over the current one (source):
- Finally lets us update libraries, such as LWJGL, closing off many-year-old bugs such as "I can't play minecraft at all", "My shift/ctrl/alt keys get stuck and I have to restart the game", "I crash when I fullscreen/resize/click on something/sneeze", affecting a huge portion of our players and may increase performance.
- Lets us add new libraries, increasing performance, stability, and helps write code quicker (easier to make a car when you don't have to keep reinventing the wheel).
- Lets us fix many issues downloading the game/updating the game/even opening the launcher, as it's riddled with bugs and I'd estimate about 5-10% of our players experience issues downloading an update at least once an update.
- Very much required for the future of the game, and an incredibly big step towards the mod API.
- Lets us be much, much, much more user friendly. Instead of saying "login failed" we can say "sorry the servers are down, check back later" or "use your email and not your minecraft name to log in with" for mojang accounts, etc.
- Lets us do new cool stuff like update to snapshots easily, switch between versions, pick a username if you have multiple minecraft accounts, update quicker and more reliably.
- Fixes a huge security issue by not storing your password to disk.
So whilst it may not be the biggest gameplay change to ever be added, it's a big step for us :)
The fact that it will allow you to run multiple different versions will be a godsend! It means if you frequent different servers that haven't been updated for one reason or another..you can still play!
Not only that but gone will be the days of Linux users having to manually update the LWJGL to fix keys sticking!
Oh and 1.6 will have Horses as well which you can ride, put armour on and bind to a fence, cool!
Minecraft is an odd title, I can see why it is so popular but to me it's one of those games I tend to burn myself out on and get bored quickly...but I am always pulled back in by each new big update!
What do you think to 1.6 then folks?
Also we used to run a server for it here at GOL, would be interesting to see if anyone would want us to start one back up? Do you play multiplayer and frequently, let us know!
Have no idea what Minecraft is? Watch the trailer below!