If this sounds a bit familiar, it's because this same developer also made the game Screeps, an MMO RTS sandbox (some of it is open source too) which has all the same basic ideas. However, Screeps Arena has a much smaller and refined focus on simpler battles. This will likely make it a more manageable game and probably easier for a bigger audience to get into.
- Your code is executed 24/7 while fighting with other players' code during series of short fast-paced 1x1 matchups.
- The system will match equal opponents based on your arena rating.
- Different "arenas" (multiplayer game modes) each with its own rules set and goals covering many aspects of a strategy game - gathering resources, base building, attack and defense tactics, CPU-effective algorithms, etc.
- We will introduce new arenas for every season so that you always have to write new code for different challenges.
- Play with friends and design your own challenges and arenas.
You can wishlist/follow it on Steam, due sometime next year. Will let you know when they give out a more solid release date.