Big Evil Corporation have released their puzzle-platformer that really is rather retro and not just because of the style. It was released today for Linux but it's also a SEGA Mega Drive game too. The Steam release even includes a Mega Drive ROM file.
The release follows a successful Kickstarter campaign back in 2016, where the developer managed to get over £50K in funding from nearly 900 backers.
About the game:
Set in a fictional world, the game follows a young creature, Nymn, who is separated from home after the twin suns set. Unable to get back to safety, Nymn must find a way to survive the night terrors and make it to morning. TANGLEWOOD’s world is a dangerous one after dark, and Nymn must use skills of evasion, special abilities, traps and trickery to defeat predators.
TANGLEWOOD® is programmed in pure 68000 assembly language, using original development tools and processes from the 1990s.
- A real 16-bit game, created for and playable on genuine SEGA consoles
- Mixes fast-paced 2D platforming action with puzzles, special abilities, tricks and traps
- 28 challenging levels spanning 8 story chapters
- Lovingly crafted characters and fluid animations
- Original soundtrack by freezedream, authored specially for the Mega Drive's sound processors
- Time of day cycle, influencing the types of enemies encountered
- Collectables, achievements and secrets
I've tested it for a while and it does seem to work quite nicely, the Steam Controller even works out of the box which was a little surprising. It has a nice in-game manual too, which is pretty helpful as like the classics, it doesn't really tell you anything directly in the game. I think it definately captures the spirit of the true classics, as someone who played endless hours until dark on their Mega Drive I certainly approve of this.
Find it on Steam right now.