Want to play Jagged Alliance 2 on Linux and have a good experience? The JA2-Stracciatella game engine is exactly what you need.
I'm a little hesitant to claim it's open source. While they say their changes are public domain, they aren't sure what the actual license is for older code from the original project (as this is a continuation started by someone else). On top of that, the original source release is under a "SFI-SCLA" license. Anyway…
Here's what the new release adds:
- A graphical launcher
- “Dead is Dead” mode: documentation
- 4 new bundled optional mini-mods: Honest IMP Questions, Generous Rebels, O Fortuna, From Russia With Love
- The game window is now resizable, which enables software pixel scaling.
- Some fixes and tweaks cherry-picked from 1.13.
- Configuration is now stored in a JSON file.
- Comments have been added to the configuration file making it easier to tweak.
You do need to own Jagged Alliance 2, as this is only a game engine. The easiest place to grab a copy is GOG (affiliate link) where it's currently on sale.
Love seeing open source game engines for older games, keeping them alive and making them work even better on modern system is awesome.