It's not the biggest update nor is it the most exciting, but it is nice to get an insight into what's happening with the game. The last release was way back in July, so it's been a while since we had more information (unless you like diving into the forums).
For the next release, there is no public date set that I can see, but it seems progress has been steady. You can see what they've got left to do on their public roadmap.
As for the development report, here's some highlights:
- A lot of legacy AI code was removed, to make the code-base cleaner.
- Random map generation code was refactored, making it much easier to create of new random map script.
- Secondary attacks for units are coming! Like throwing an object, then pulling out a sword will be possible in future. It's not ready yet, with the prerequisites being worked on.
- Support for multiple victory conditions looks like it's also coming, they note playing "regicide + wonder victory" as an example.
- Improvements to the multiplayer user interface.
- More secure multiplayer lobby authentication from an anti-impersonation lobby patch.
- Lots of reviewing patches from others.
- And more!
See the full report here. I know said it wasn't the most exciting, but secondary attacks actually sounds really quite awesome, sounds like the next Alpha build could really be quite interesting.