You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!

Battle for Wesnoth, one of the oldest and most polished open source games around is now available free on Steam.

The developers aren't just celebrating finding a new audience on Steam, they also just pushed out a big update to the game as well, what they're calling the "New Horizons Update". 

They even made a shiny new trailer for the release:

YouTube Thumbnail
YouTube videos require cookies, you must accept their cookies to view. View cookie preferences.
Accept Cookies & Show   Direct Link

With this new release, they're now requiring you have a registered account on their official forum to play online. They say this is needed as a result of "issues with abuse of unregistered nicknames". They need to fix a tooltip that says it's optional though, which will be in the first point release 1.14.1.

You can see their update notes here, although they have this shiny page to go into a lot more detail about this release. Sounds like a huge amount of work went into it and it's looking really good.

Of course, you can still grab it from the official site, but Steam is very convenient.

Article taken from GamingOnLinux.com.
17 Likes, Who?
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG, Humble Store and Paradox Interactive. See more information here.
About the author -
I am the owner of GamingOnLinux. After discovering Linux back in the days of Mandrake in 2003, I constantly came back to check on the progress of Linux until Ubuntu appeared on the scene and it helped me to really love it. You can reach me easily by emailing GamingOnLinux directly.
See more from me
The comments on this article are closed.
24 comments
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:

TheSHEEEP 2 May 2018 at 10:40 am UTC
View PC info
  • Supporter
And it only took 10 years or so!
TimeFreeze 2 May 2018 at 11:06 am UTC
I remember that i played this Game 8-9 Years ago. And now i found it again thanks to this article. Man....i feel old now when i think about how long ago it was when i played it.
14 2 May 2018 at 1:26 pm UTC
View PC info
  • Supporter
I have this installed and mean to play it sometime. It surely looks up my alley.

Wesnoth is actually part of the Arch repository. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in other distributions as well.
sudo pacman -S wesnoth
oldrocker99 2 May 2018 at 3:06 pm UTC
View PC info
  • Supporter
  • Top Supporter
This is great news; a really good TBS game is available on Steam. It is the first FOSS game on Steam which is free to play. A few other FOSS games have been sold on Steam: MegaGlest, TOME, Vulcan Nethack/SLASH'em, and a couple more I can't remember at the moment. They all cost less than $5.00, and the devs get some $$$ to further development. Nothing in the GNU License says that you can't sell your software, as long as you make the source code available.

Good news for every TBS fan.


Last edited by oldrocker99 at 2 May 2018 at 3:06 pm UTC
g000h 2 May 2018 at 4:54 pm UTC
Noting that Debian 10 (Buster / Testing) has version 1.12 and Debian 8 (Jessie) has version 1.10, so getting the version on Steam gives you a really up to date version.

I did play it myself, long ago, as one of the few good (and free) Linux games available. Interesting to see how much it has changed, and hopefully improved.
km3k 2 May 2018 at 5:11 pm UTC
This was one of the first Linux games I played back in 2004. I think it was version 0.7 or 0.8 back then.
Asu 2 May 2018 at 5:51 pm UTC
very nice and yes, very convenient lol...
Purple Library Guy 2 May 2018 at 5:52 pm UTC
I had a good deal of fun with this game. One thing that bugged me back when I played it though was that you were given a certain percentage chance to hit, and I noticed (became particularly obvious with powerful units with high chance to hit and lots of attacks) that the actual results seemed to average way below the given stats. So like, someone with 60% chance to hit seemed to hit around 40% of the time. Got frustrating.
razing32 2 May 2018 at 6:35 pm UTC
I ran into a funny situation last weekend trying to play this with a friend(who was on windows)
Stable version on site : 12.6
Development version on site : 13.1
Arch repo version : 14.1
Patola 2 May 2018 at 7:23 pm UTC
Purple Library GuyI had a good deal of fun with this game. One thing that bugged me back when I played it though was that you were given a certain percentage chance to hit, and I noticed (became particularly obvious with powerful units with high chance to hit and lots of attacks) that the actual results seemed to average way below the given stats. So like, someone with 60% chance to hit seemed to hit around 40% of the time. Got frustrating.
But this is an open source game. You can promptly check the code to see whether the statistics are done wrong, or you're just experiencing selection bias.
  Go to:
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on Patreon, Liberapay or Paypal. We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake First Playthrough
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts