Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Gamepad with a well linux support
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
serjor Feb 27, 2015
Hi!

I'm looking to buy a gamepad (ps3 controller gives me problems with some games like trine) that is well supported under linux.

I guess that x360 controller works (at least should) smoothly and it's just plug and play, isn't it?
But, anyone knows how xone controller works? It worth trying it? I've been googling but I can't find something useful.
And apart from microsoft controllers (unfortunately all pc games only support properly this controller), any suggestion?

Thank you!
Liam Dawe Feb 28, 2015
Go for a wired 360 controller, an official one, not a cheapo one, and you can't go wrong, it has the best support.
serjor Mar 1, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweGo for a wired 360 controller, an official one, not a cheapo one, and you can't go wrong, it has the best support.

Thank you for your reply. I followed your advice and I bought a wired 360 controller. I guess I will be able to start using it tomorrow :-D
Liam Dawe Mar 1, 2015
I've been debating replacing my wireless 360 controller for a wired one, as the wireless ones are annoying. Keeping the receiver plugged in still makes games think you have a controller plugged in, even when they are off.

I am trying to hold out for the Steam Controller though ;)
serjor Mar 1, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweI've been debating replacing my wireless 360 controller for a wired one, as the wireless ones are annoying. Keeping the receiver plugged in still makes games think you have a controller plugged in, even when they are off.

I've been testing my new controller, and unfortunately my computer thinks it's a mouse.

I will try some tweaks, but it is not plug and play

Liam Dawe Mar 1, 2015
I had that on Manjaro (Arch based, I see you use Arch), and some packages it included by default made it act that way, you need to disable it. Doesn't happen on the other distro's I tried.
serjor Mar 2, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweI had that on Manjaro (Arch based, I see you use Arch), and some packages it included by default made it act that way, you need to disable it. Doesn't happen on the other distro's I tried.

You're right. Actually I'm using manjaro nowadays (didn't update it in my profile). I haven't tested yet the tweaks, but as you say it should be pretty easy to make it work properly.
fraghopper Mar 2, 2015
I got a Logitech F310 that gets treated as an xbox controller. To get it to work, I had to disable the xpad module and load the xboxdrv module.

I also had to chmod 777 /dev/input/event## (where ## is the number that gets assigned to the gamepad when it is plugged in).

It's really annoying that applications do not use /dev/input/js0

I use antimicro to intercept gamepad signals and translate them to key presses on games that do not have gamepad support.
tuubi Mar 3, 2015
I have an F310 as well, and I didn't have to do anything to make it work perfectly (on Mint).
ProfessorKaos64 May 14, 2015
I use wired/wireless Xbox 360 or PS3 official brand controllers just fine. Never an issue with the gamepads here over Xboxdrv or Valve's modified Xpad driver on SteamOS. Also, Logitech controllers seem to do well.
Magamo May 15, 2015
I've been using a DualShock4 for the past few months, and have been loving it under Linux. It just works with every gamepad enabled Linux game I've tried it with. For Wine games with xinput support only, you'll have to use something like x360ce. I'm not using any userspace components for the dualshock4, just the standard kernel modules. It works out the box, both wired and bluetooth. I have seen in xev and others that the touchpad produces input, but nothing seems to support it for anything. I've also not gotten any LED changes to happen, or anything with the internal speaker, but for just plain game playing, I couldn't be happier. (lubuntu 14.04, with the LTS-hwe kernel (based on 3.16.X))
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.