Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Page: «10/11»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestIt probably "sold well" for Linux, but didn't "sell well" by their expectations of sales figures and they ultimately concluded it was a poor investment. Pity, but not surprising i'm afraid...

Is it your guess, or they said as much? Their report to shareholders mentioned Witcher 2 for Linux as an achievement. They wouldn't do it, if it sold poorly and they lost money (by paying VP for the port). So something doesn't make sense here.

Quoting: GuestYep, sorry, you better give up waiting for this one to ever come to Linux... I cant tell you the exact details due to NDA, but can say that CDProject RED are not interested in bringing Witcher 3 to Linux (or Mac) any time soon. Yes it had to do with Witcher 2, but nothing to do with VP.

Without details, do you know that they are not interested in TW3 for Linux, or you assume that based on the fact that they didn't ask VP to make it? Thing is, CDPR never said they cancelled their plans. Why would they pretend to be still interested in it, if they decided not to do it at all?
Shmerl May 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestI really wish it would. I got curious so I sent an email to biz [A] cdprojektred.com and received a reply last night. Doesn't look great to be honest.

Can you post their response please? I'll add it to the timeline here.
Shmerl May 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestUltimately, if it's the motivation WINE needs to implement working Direct3D 10/11 support then i'd say Linux gaming stands to gain.

I agree. But still CDPR appear like breaking their promises, and basically trying to hide that fact, without admitting that they did it.
Shmerl May 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestThey are not breaking any promise. The "Witcher 3 coming to SteamOS" thing was a marketing mistake on Valve's part. That's already been well established.

Well established? I didn't see anyone admitting such mistake, or CDPR refuting that ad. See here also for their explicit statements which basically confirmed it. So since they never refuted or announced that such plans were cancelled, they either still have them, or they broke their promise. I don't see any good resolution of this situation for them, given their complete silence on this matter at present.

About MacOS I can understand, I don't think it's a worthy target for TW3 indeed (no newest OpenGL support, weak hardware where it runs and etc.). But about Linux, I still don't get why they were first interested and then decided not to do it. Your assumption about bad sales of TW2 doesn't really sound convincing. See their shareholders report about it.

I can only assume, their management somehow got into the mentality of legacy publishers, who usually don't grok Linux, and simply stick to mass market approach. As some developers who left CDPR hinted, they aren't "true rebels" anymore (for those unfamiliar, CDPR used to pride themselves as "rebels", who don't do things like legacy publishers).
Mblackwell May 8, 2017
Ugh, I hate when people post that it was a "mistake". A "mistake" that happened twice? And was confirmed by CDPR in e-mails. And Valve customer service would also confirm if you managed to contact them at the time?

It was not a mistake, however it's likely either taking longer than expected or was quietly canceled. But the lack of proper good communication sucks, and no one needs to make excuses for large corporations like CD Projekt.
Ehvis May 8, 2017
Quoting: MblackwellUgh, I hate when people post that it was a "mistake". A "mistake" that happened twice?

With two different banners no less. One in the old red style and one in the new white style. Which makes stand by my earlier assessment. They simply expected VP to be able to do the same thing they did with TW2 and be done with it. It just wasn't that easy.

It may actually still happen that way when both the eON tech is mature enough to handle TW3 and the average hardware is fast enough to compensate for the loss in performance that it gives.

Until then, TW3 will just be a nice benchmark to see how Wine DX11 evolves.
Shmerl May 8, 2017
Yeah, two subsequent banners (a year apart) exclude any possibility of it being a mistake or something not sanctioned by CDPR.
Shmerl May 10, 2017
Quoting: GuestSure, here it is:
I'm hoping but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks. What date was it on, was it on May 3rd?
Shmerl May 10, 2017
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: ShmerlThanks. What date was it on, was it on May 3rd?

May 4th

I updated the timeline: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_Linux_port
Shmerl Sep 20, 2017
This is very insightful:

View video on youtube.com

It can probably explain highly erratic and failed release of The Witcher 3 for Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.