You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «21/22»
  Go to:
14 20 Feb
Quoting: PenglingPortable gaming is my jam (for me, TV/monitor-out is nice but not necessary), and after becoming disappointed with the Nintendo Switch (various series that I like were taken in directions that I didn't enjoy and some didn't get updated for the new hardware at all, and I grew tired of having to frequently repair carefully used equipment due to the uncharacteristically poor build-quality) I sold up last year, and today I took delivery of a GPD Win Max 2021 - which is now happily running Xubuntu, of course. ;)
That GPD thing is really neat. Never heard of it before.
Pengling 20 Feb
Quoting: 14That GPD thing is really neat. Never heard of it before.
I didn't originally plan to get one, but after grabbing a GPD MicroPC last year and being wowed by the design and build-quality I decided to go for it. No regrets at all, and there was minimal fuss getting Xubuntu 21.10 up and running on it (just had to set the correct screen rotation post-install and tweak one config file to get sound output). I presume it's fine with most distros at this point.
akselmo 22 Feb
Oh hi, I have forgotten to introduce myself before.

I'm a dude from Finland and I switched to Linux last summer because I got tired of Windows updates. One of the best decisions I've made. I eventually settled down with Kubuntu and I really like using it.

On my free time, besides of gaming of course, I like to program stuff, be it games or maybe even contribute to FOSS projects.

My plan is to continue making games on my free time and this time Linux first. Someone's gotta do it.

My favorite game genres are FPS and RPG's. Even better when the two are combined, which is why I especially love Morrowind.

If you see me in Matrix or Discord, feel free to say hi!

Also here are some links:

My blog: https://akselmo.dev
My games: https://akselmo.itch.io
(most games are Windows only for now unfortunately, since they were made before I switched, but they should work with Wine+DXVK, use Lutris)

Last edited by akselmo on 22 February 2022 at 3:01 pm UTC
AngryAnt 28 May
Hullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. Primary attraction was a desire for more flexibility in hardware choice - basically it was getting harder to defend the performance of my 2013 laptop and when looking to pick up a workstation, the fruit company choices weren't super exciting. Spent some time reviewing a distribution while dual booting in my spare time and switched my day to day apps to ones available on Linux. After a satisfactory month or so of that I ordered the parts for a machine which suited my needs, put them together in a first ever self-built, and installed Linux on it. The case arrived a bit later, so initially the machine was hilariously just a pile of parts with a scattering of fans and a nearby screwdriver for shorting out the power-on pins.

The timing couldn't have been better as it meant that when COVID hit I had both a home workstation and an office one - allowing us to transform the home workstation into a server for all the studio internal services as well as personal services which I migrated from an older Synology NAS.

When not working I maintain a probably-not-healthy addiction to cardboard-based gaming and play digital games via Steam Remote Play from a server VM with GPU passthrough to an x86 tablet / a TV-connected box / some laptop or workstation.

Running NixOS on top of Proxmox on everything - with exception of the tablet which just runs NixOS.
HerrLange 28 May
Quoting: AngryAntHullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. [...]

Running NixOS on top of Proxmox on everything - with exception of the tablet which just runs NixOS.

Welcome from my side.

While Linux is my main OS since 2004 or so, I still have a recent macbook here as a secondary machine for stuff that is not supported via Linux. Especially for school of my kids where they sometimes seems to think everybody has Microsoft Office hat home and similar. Or some toys that requires firmware update that often is not supported via Linux.

How do you handle such stuff?

Last edited by HerrLange on 28 May 2022 at 10:40 pm UTC
AngryAnt 29 May
Quoting: HerrLange
Quoting: AngryAntHullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. [...]

Welcome from my side.

While Linux is my main OS since 2004 or so, I still have a recent macbook here as a secondary machine for stuff that is not supported via Linux. Especially for school of my kids where they sometimes seems to think everybody has Microsoft Office hat home and similar. Or some toys that requires firmware update that often is not supported via Linux.

How do you handle such stuff?

My 10yo runs Linux on desktop and laptop as well. School work is usually web based and for that we set up FireFox profiles with the given site as home URL and desktop entries for launching those as applets. That said, during lockdown they used MS Teams for which we either used the flatpak or a phone. For office-type work we use Onlyoffice and for creative it's Krita and Inkscape. I think the only toy we have which does firmware updates is a LEGO thing which handles them over bluetooth via its mobile companion app.
Hey guys I'm a Ukrainian dude from Canada that decided to give linux a shot after watching the Linus Tech Tips video challenge and then hearing that Steam Deck was going to be linux based. I remember trying out Ubuntu in 2016, but I thought it looked very ugly and I didn't like it and was inconvenient. I had no idea there were other linux distributions at the time.

Fast forward to this year - I tried PopOS (didn't like GNOME interface it offered but thought it looked cool), then Manjaro (even convinced my brother to install it on his own computer) and now I'm on Arch.
Pengling 31 May
Hi MercifulBoss! Great username - makes me think of a final boss who's not being totally evil.

Quoting: MercifulBossI remember trying out Ubuntu in 2016, but I thought it looked very ugly and I didn't like it and was inconvenient.
I must admit, I've never been a fan of mainline Ubuntu myself either (but then again, it's aimed at a different audience to me), though I do get on well with Xubuntu, which doesn't really feel like an Ubuntu flavour at all (it quietly does what I want and stays out of my way, and that's what I want from an OS).

Quoting: MercifulBossFast forward to this year - I tried PopOS (didn't like GNOME interface it offered but thought it looked cool), then Manjaro (even convinced my brother to install it on his own computer) and now I'm on Arch.
I hope that you're getting on well with finding what suits you best!

What sort of games are you into?

Last edited by Pengling on 31 May 2022 at 4:49 am UTC
Quoting: PenglingHi MercifulBoss! Great username - makes me think of a final boss who's not being totally evil.

Quoting: MercifulBossI remember trying out Ubuntu in 2016, but I thought it looked very ugly and I didn't like it and was inconvenient.
I must admit, I've never been a fan of mainline Ubuntu myself either (but then again, it's aimed at a different audience to me), though I do get on well with Xubuntu, which doesn't really feel like an Ubuntu flavour at all (it quietly does what I want and stays out of my way, and that's what I want from an OS).

At the time I had no idea there were other distros - I thought Ubuntu WAS linux lol. I guess Linux didn't do a good job of marketing itself and telling me about the existence of other distros. I think its much better now with larger youtubers talking about them.

Quoting: MercifulBossFast forward to this year - I tried PopOS (didn't like GNOME interface it offered but thought it looked cool), then Manjaro (even convinced my brother to install it on his own computer) and now I'm on Arch.
I hope that you're getting on well with finding what suits you best!

What sort of games are you into?

well i'm more of a single player gamer - I like Total War games (warhammer and Warhammer 2 and Attila were some of the best imo), pathfinder kingmaker (though i must say the end was a slog), God of War, Metro and stuff like that

What about you?
Pengling 1 Jun
Quoting: MercifulBosswell i'm more of a single player gamer - I like Total War games (warhammer and Warhammer 2 and Attila were some of the best imo), pathfinder kingmaker (though i must say the end was a slog), God of War, Metro and stuff like that

What about you?
Primarily I'm into a lot of usually-cute stuff that (decades ago) used to fall under the now-defunct banner of "arcade-style" - platformers, racers, maze/chase games, rhythm titles, pinball, and so on (I created a genre thread and wrote up a full list over here recently). This covers a lot of decades, so I also built the desktop version of RetroPie on some of my systems recently, which was well worth doing.

I usually stick with single-player content, like yourself, but local multi-player is sometimes fun when the stars align for it. I do make rare exceptions for online with the likes of Super Bomberman R Online, Duck Game, and Among Us, though - those are a riot whether you're playing with people you know or not.

Last edited by Pengling on 1 June 2022 at 4:37 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.