Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Share benchmarks of your games
J_Salem Mar 24, 2016
Hi everyone,
opengamebenchmarks.org dev here. The idea of the site is to share benchmarks of Steam games that are available both for Linux and Windows (1732 as I write), to compare them, determine bottlenecks, help a user decide if a game is worth buying, etc.

The great folks here at gamingonlinux.com agreed to collaborate with me, by opening this new Forum section: instead of fragmenting the (still relatively slim) userbase of Linux gamers, with thought that a common effort would be a win-win.

You can find a guide on how to benchmark your games here. And feel free to ask me for any details. Happy gaming & benchmarking!
Rhythagoras Mar 25, 2016
I don't have Windows installed on any of my machines to participate in this.... but I could swear that when I switched to Arch from Windows 7 that Brutal Legend had a noticeable improvement in framerate (and the controller response was massively improved). Don't know how Win10 is... never tried it...

But if someone is dual booting and has Brutal Legend... would you mind providing benchmarks? I'm curious.
J_Salem Mar 25, 2016
Quoting: RhythagorasI don't have Windows installed on any of my machines to participate in this.... but I could swear that when I switched to Arch from Windows 7 that Brutal Legend had a noticeable improvement in framerate (and the controller response was massively improved). Don't know how Win10 is... never tried it...

But if someone is dual booting and has Brutal Legend... would you mind providing benchmarks? I'm curious.

You can just upload your benchmarks from Linux, and maybe later somebody will post the same game from Windows ;)
J_Salem Mar 28, 2016
Quoting: Guest@ J_Salem

Just a suggestion, is it possible to minimize the info being shown ?

Here is a Dying Light benchmark info from your website
http://www.opengamebenchmarks.org/benchmark_detail/34

I believe we can reduce it to the following

average frame rate
minimum frame rate
99th percentile frame time

It would also be more helpful if a video showing what part of the game was benchmarked would be included in the details. Or at least be more specific in describing the benchmark scene

View video on youtube.com

By the way, Tech Report already made an article explaining why FPS alone fails
http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback!
So as you can see, there is a table/graph page in which you have a summary of one or several benchmarks. Instead of average/minimum FPS, you have median/IQR (InterQuartile Range), which are more resilient to outliers and address exactly the problems mentioned in the article you linked.

Regarding the video or a more specific description, it really comes to each user; it is indeed possible to use the free "Extra Notes" field to link a video or give a rich description of other benchmark variables.

It is important to notice that this is not a site in which I put my benchmarks like the editorial staff of a videogame magazine; rather, this is a platform for the community, to upload and share their performances.
manero666 Mar 30, 2016
Great Idea, i will surely do some benches and post them, just to see how my crappy rigs stand out :)

keep it up!
VelcroSquid Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for this. I have both windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 on the same desktop. I plan on contributing to the benchmarks on both sides.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.