Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Screen tearing
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
tuubi Apr 27, 2016
Quoting: Xpandercompton is all good but makes the windows move slower and takes a bit perf hit.
also recording will be pain with compton. there will be screen tearing on the video
Try compton's xr-glx-hybrid backend. Might require a recent git snapshot of compton, I'm not sure. Makes the desktop very snappy. That's what I do on my work computer. I'm happily using the glx backend on my gaming box though, as window move performance is hardly a priority. Compton has no effect on fullscreen gaming or video as far as I can see. I haven't tried recording on either, but that's where tweaking compton's vsync method might help.
Liam Dawe May 12, 2016
So, I have basically solved it using two scripts.

Thanks to this tweet: https://twitter.com/HeavyHDx/status/730818366148071424

Essentially I now have a shortcut assigned for two scripts, one to set ForceFullCompositionPipeline on at 4K resolution and one to set ForceFullCompositionPipeline on at 1080p resolution.

It seems when games change the monitor resolution instead of stretching a fullscreen window (hello Stellaris), the ForceFullCompositionPipeline option is actually reset.

Why am I doing some games at 1080p? Performance, text being too small etc.

So I am just doing this:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DP-4:3840x2160_60 +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, DVI-I-1:1920x1080_60 +3840+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

And this:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DP-4:1920x1080_60 +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, DVI-I-1:1920x1080_60 +1920+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.