Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you use?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
mirv 22 Jun
Most flavours of Windows at some point or other (including Windows ME, and it was really that bad).

BASIC 7 and BASIC 2 (had a Commodore C128).

FreeRTOS and mbedOS (because it was never said if this list only included desktop systems).

MacOS (something ancient that I don't recall the version of, also recently Catalina and Big Sur).

Android.

iOS, but only whatever was on the original iTouch.

Emacs. Great OS, and I also like the included text editor.

Naturally various flavours of GNU/Linux, on x86, x86_64, and arm architectures. The usual big names (Debian, Red Hat, some Debian based like Ubuntu) but now just stick to Gentoo.
gbudny 22 Jun
From 2002 to 2004, I used Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

I used few Linux distributions since 2004 like Mepis, Aurox, Fedora, and Debian - the last one I used as the only operating system on my PC from 2005 to 2010.

Currently, I use mostly Mac OS X on the old Mac Mini Server and still switch to Debian and Ubuntu if it is necessary. There is also an old PC with Windows 10, which I have used for a few years that helps me to prepare for specific exams.

In my spare time, I learn how to use HP-UX (Itanium) that I installed on the old server.

In the future, I plan to buy a computer with AIX.

The most interesting OS that I tried to run on the VM is A/UX (Apple Unix), and we still don't have a fully functional VM for it - it is so SAD!

Last edited by gbudny on 22 June 2021 at 9:01 pm UTC
kaiman 22 Jun
Personally I used at some point or other

Amiga OS (1.3 and 2.04)
DOS
Win95, Win98, Win2k, XP (also 8/8.1 inside a VM)
BeOS 5
OSX 10.2, 10.4, 10.6, 10.9 up to 10.14/15? (Kinda lost track with the yearly releases that didn't really feel any different from the last)
My first Linux install was a SuSE distro from late '96, but after 6.4 or 7.1 I switched to Debian and later Ubuntu, of which I ran all the LTS releases from 14.04 onward.

I've also installed FreeBSD and Haiku at some point, but never used them much for anything productive.

At work I also had NT4, Win7 and now some version of Win10, as well as exposure to AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and OpenVMS (those latter four I wrote code on, but didn't use as a desktop).

In a way I feel we're long past peak OS, no matter the vendor. Things got slower and ever more complex, with only marginal improvements to usability and features. Were it not for hardware support and bug fixes, I guess I'd still stick with something from the mid 2000s.
Pangaea 22 Jun
Quoting: trackmasters39181win xp, vista, 7,8 and 10. i have never used BSD or Solaris.
An 11-year bump. Respect! :D

Didn't have 3.1 and suchlike, too early for me, but something along these lines:
Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, Win 7 (skipped ME and Vista, and of course 10).

Don't recall all the Linux distros I tried on and off, but at least these:
Red Hat, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint. I've been on Linux Mint for many years now, and dual-booting was dropped many years ago too.

Special mention of Windows RG. Don't know if there is a "working" version any more, but it was hilarious. Almost burst my sides when first trying it out. Hmm, maybe this is the original? https://www.jamesweb.co.uk/windowsrg
Quoting: PangaeaSpecial mention of Windows RG

tbh i never really knew about windows RG until you mentioned it here!
ok and that website looks legit,there's even a 'download windowsrg' option

Last edited by trackmasters39181 on 23 June 2021 at 4:44 am UTC
damarrin 23 Jun
Quoting: levellord(even my kids use Linux).

How's that working out? Aren't they isolated from their friends? Doesn't school require MSO?
damarrin 23 Jun
I've used MS systems from DOS up to and including Windows XP, macOS since 10.3, Linux since Mandrake 8. BeOS, too, for about 2 hours.
levellord 23 Jun
Quoting: damarrin

How's that working out? Aren't they isolated from their friends? Doesn't school require MSO?

School is providing tablets for kids, android based, so it is pretty much uniform in that way and no isolation. On the other hand, there is always a bunch of kids playing games in my house on Linux when they are not outside. My oldest daughter doesn't even know that something called windows exists. :) Youngest doesn't care, too young. Linux has gone long way since Steam was introduced.
damarrin 23 Jun
Quoting: levellord
Quoting: damarrin

School is providing tablets for kids, android based, so it is pretty much uniform in that way and no isolation. On the other hand, there is always a bunch of kids playing games in my house on Linux when they are not outside. My oldest daughter doesn't even know that something called windows exists. :) Youngest doesn't care, too young. Linux has gone long way since Steam was introduced.

That's great. Over here it would be very difficult to avoid running Windows.
I have an Lineage OS Raspberry Pi 4 as my backyard HTPC with Fdroid and Gapps installed for gaming Stadia and RetroArch. It also has SimpleMusicPlayer, Netflix, Youtube-adless, Kanopy and Plex for watching stuff and listening to music.

I also have Lineage OS on my Samsung A51 phone with just Fdroid now. I removed Gapps once Stadia worked flawlessly via Browser on it.

I use UBTouch on a Google Nexus 5 as a back up phone, book reader and emulator.

I use AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition on a new NUC rig that I am setting up for my sun room.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts