Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Shadwen demo CTD on debian jessie
dvd May 11, 2016
I've been interested in the game Shadwen for a while, so i downloaded the free demo from GOG. The game launches but crashes to the desktop immediately, no matter which of the launcher scripts i try to use. If i try to use the real game executable, it complains of missing libraries (of the libs that are included in the game). I tried to put these into the same directory as the executable, creating symlinks pointing to them, and adding the directory containing them to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. As GOG doesn't support my system, i thought i'd ask here.

My system is a Debian Jessie, using amd64 packages. I use stable packages, except the kernel, which is 4.4.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 and the mesa library, which is version 11.1.3, both installed via the backports repository.

What am i doing wrong? Was someone able to launch this game on Debian using mesa instead of fglrx?
Thanks!
Blurps May 11, 2016
I just installed to test and it works for me on Debian Jessie.
with nvidia-driver backports and kernel 3.16

did you check the minimum requirement ?
dvd May 12, 2016
yes, my system should be at or somewhat above what they recommend. That said, they did say it might not work on the mesa drivers, but i'd like to try getting it working with that, for most of the programs i run it works just as well as fglrx and heats up my laptop a lot less than fglrx.
dvd May 12, 2016
Thanks Shmerl!

That thread contained the solution for me. Apparently, i needed to manually set MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=440 and MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1, and now it works alright.

Also, sorry for posting here, i did check out their forums before that, but seems like i am blind and missed that thread. :)
Thanks everyone for the help!
Shmerl May 12, 2016
I wonder though, if you are using AMD card, why Measa already wasn't reporting 4.x support? That issue usually comes up for Intel, which still officially didn't reach 4.x.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.