Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Tomb Raider won't start
Page: 0/2»
  Go to:
donbastiano Jul 4, 2016
As you easily guessed, my locale is not English but also with the change to the launch options nothing has changed, no message, doesn't start at all. /tmp/dumps/ is empty.

I'm not connected to a VPN and I'm using the AMD (fglrx) driver on Ubuntu 14.04. I expected some problems but also some messages and at least the intro :)
Xpander Jul 4, 2016
open up your steam in terminal and check whats up?

but i guess fglrx is not supported.

you might want to update to 16.04 and get the amdgpu-pro driver if your GPU is supported..or even the latest mesa drivers should be up to the task
pete910 Jul 4, 2016
Quoting: donbastianoHi, I just bought and dowloaded TR but it won't start and doesn't give any message. I have not found any log, anyone knows where can I search?
Actually I'm not sure the game could start, I'm hoping to play at minimum settings. I'm curious about the problem.

Thank you

Check in the TR folder/bin that "TombRaider" is executable. Might be a others that need to be too

That's what caught me out after the last patch

It runs fine with frglx, depending on what card you have you may need to knock the settings down though.
donbastiano Jul 4, 2016
Thank you.

Running steam from terminal I've got some info of the errors, maybe some missing dependecies, I have to search.

The "TombRaider" in the bin folder is ok.

I'm on a notebook with an "old" card and so I'm back from 16.04 ;) (that I used for a while to try the OSS driver)
Liam Dawe Jul 5, 2016
What is your exact GPU model and driver version, we need more details.
Pangachat Jul 6, 2016
Fglrx patched out from the game, you must use the opensource driver (MESA 11.2)
donbastiano Jul 6, 2016
Thank you again :)

Info of my card and driver:
$ fglrxinfo
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151

With Mesa I had some performance issue, some game was unplayable

As I said I know the game could not start, I was curious also because, with surprise, I was able to play and enjoy Bioshock Infinite, mostly on medium thanks to my low resolution :D

At the moment I don't think problems are related to the card/driver in use and I just would like to solve them (probably to finally get the crash of the system due to my card/driver ;) )

So, for the first of the errors, gameoverlayrenderer.so, I tried to disable the steam overlay from the game property but nothing changed.

For the libasound.so.2, I tried to create a symbolic link in ~/.steam/steamapps/common/Tomb Raider/lib/i686
$ file libasound.so.2
libasound.so.2: symbolic link to `/home/donbastiano/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0' 

(OT: is it normal that steam install lot of things/bin in the home?)
ldd now shows that the lib is found, before was "=> not found"
$ ldd TombRaider | grep asou
libasound.so.2 => /home/donbastiano/.steam/steamapps/common/Tomb Raider/bin/./../lib/i686/libasound.so.2 (0xf05c5000)

but I presume that in the terminal the environment/PATH is different, the error is still the same.
Why the symbolic link did not work?

(and sorry for my bad "English"...)
pete910 Jul 7, 2016
Quoting: PangachatFglrx patched out from the game, you must use the opensource driver (MESA 11.2)

What are you saying?

That they've patched out fglrx from working in TR?
donbastiano Jul 8, 2016
Small update, I installed the 32 bit version
$ find ./ -name libasound.so*
./i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0
./i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2.0.0
./x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2

but still the same error
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
while moving the x86_64, does not found the file
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
strange...

I think I posted in the wrong section of the forum, sorry
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.