You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Thoughts on newer AMD GPU's?
Cardbird commented on 19 August 2016 at 9:38 pm UTC

So what do you all think of AMD's three latest graphics cards? The Rx 460, 470, and 480, I mean. I'm wondering because I'm planning on upgrading from my super-slow integrated 6550D from 2012, and is the fastest GPU I've ever used, since I never really cared enough about gaming.

I'd like a 470, but it's looking pretty huge, bigger than any GPU I've used, and has a large 120W TDP. That being said, I'd like to play games on 1600x1200 AMDGPU open source drivers with relatively high settings (no need for those diminishing returns, mostly useless settings). Has anybody with a 460 been able to do this?

I guess I'd really like something that runs between the performance of the 460 and 470, like an Rx 465. That would be nice.

Anybody want to talk about their own experience with these cards? I'm also aware of the Phoronix benchmarks, but I'd like some actual user experiences with them.

deathxxx commented on 20 August 2016 at 2:11 pm UTC

460 is 75W, draw from slot, and that is slot limit too. Little dangerous.
470 is best choice/price.
480 is more expensive and it has noting more than 470.

Cardbird commented on 20 August 2016 at 10:01 pm UTC

deathxxx460 is 75W, draw from slot, and that is slot limit too. Little dangerous.
470 is best choice/price.
480 is more expensive and it has noting more than 470.

The reference 460 is only has power from PCI-E, but most of the aftermarket cards (which is what I'd be looking at anyway) use 6-pin connectors, just like how there are aftermarket 480s with 8-pins instead of 6. And yeah, the 470 does seem to have the greatest price/performance ratios, with the 480 having the best frame-per-watt, per Larabel's benchmarks and a few user benchmarks. They're just both a bit power-hungry for my tastes.

I'd still like to hear from anybody who's used the cards.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „The Book of Unwritten Tales 2“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts