You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
The Witcher 2: current performance?
Grifter commented on 6 September 2016 at 11:21 pm UTC

tuubi(I wish someone was brave enough to develop a modern open world RPG without any combat at all.)

Well, I don't know about modern exactly... A Tale In The Desert is an open-world mmorpg without combat, it's been around for over ten years though it has changed iterations during that time. I played it way back when in the beta, not exactly my type of game, but assuming they stuck to their core ideas it might be perfect for you.

http://atitd.com

tuubi commented on 7 September 2016 at 5:37 am UTC

Grifter
tuubi(I wish someone was brave enough to develop a modern open world RPG without any combat at all.)

Well, I don't know about modern exactly... A Tale In The Desert is an open-world mmorpg without combat, it's been around for over ten years though it has changed iterations during that time. I played it way back when in the beta, not exactly my type of game, but assuming they stuck to their core ideas it might be perfect for you.

http://atitd.com
Thanks, never heard of that one. I don't do MMO though. I should have specified single player. But I guess the "modern" is optional, I'd be fine with an old-school, top-down rpg as well.

Appelsin commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:05 am UTC

Ressurectuing this thread, as I've just started playing Witcher 2

Any idea what I'm doing wrong with Witcher 2? I have set it to High, and then customized a bit, but my framerate is still choppy. Running around Flotsam gives me about 14-20 FPS, while going outside at the harbour will at "good" spots give me about 20-25.

Game-graphics cutscenes and conversations are so-so, a bit choppy, but not terrible. However, cinematics, like the comic book ones and the intro cinematic are very choppy, and the audio is stuttery with "static" or "interference" noises.

My impression, according to what I've seen reported elsewhere (e.g. this chap, posting on reddit), is that this is really below what I should expect with my hardware now. Is there any performance difference between the GOG and the Steam versions? Is it as simple as my system not being able to handle the game at High? I've tried searching for solutions, but all I've found was that setting it to "beta" might be worth it, but I dunno if that's even relevant any more.

System:
Intel i5 6600K
AMD RX480
Steam-install with linux_public_beta enabled for W2.
Kubutnu 17.10 with backports.

Current settings are:

Resolution: 1920*1080 (on a 34" 3440*1440 monitor, so it's side-letterboxed)
Fullscreen: Enabled
Ratio: 16:9

Texture Downscaling: None
Texture Memory Size: Very large
Shadow Quality: Medium
Number of Shadowed Lights: Medium
LOD Distance: Normal
Bloom: Disabled
Light Shafts: Enabled
Anti-alising: Enabled
Blur Effects: Disabled
Depth of Field (DoF) - Gameplay: Enabled
Vignette: Enabled
Wet Surfaces Rain Effect: Enabled
SSAO: Enabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Cinematic DoF: Disabled
DoF - Cutscenes: Disabled
Dangling Objects Limit: Disabled
UberSampling: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Enabled
Decals: High spec

Ehvis commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:17 am UTC

I agree that you should be getting more. I ran on 3440x1440 (although the game cropped it to 2560x1440) with most settings on maximum (ubersampling disabled though). Cutscenes were a bit low on the FPS due to the Depth of Field settings being left on, but the normal game ran 40-60 fps, which was perfectly smooth with G-SYNC on.

Shmerl commented on 20 March 2018 at 12:23 pm UTC

It should be better indeed. What is your Mesa version? It could be some regression, which hit Mesa 17.x a few times. Try Mesa master.

If you want to test GOG version, you can get it here (using your Steam game code): https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

jaycee commented on 20 March 2018 at 2:13 pm UTC

The GOG version should be no different to the Steam version if memory serves. I cant remember what the last "linux_public_beta" had in it either, but I dont think it was any improvements to rendering

The stuttery audio would suggest to me you may have a problem with interrupt storms happening. I did notice this at some point during using Mesa. The latest Mesa 18 should help - you can easily get this from the Padoka PPA.

Im also not sure if GOG actually released our latest patch. If they didnt, it's here: http://developer.vpltd.com/public/witcher2_gog/witcher2-gog-20150306204412.tgz

YoRHa-2B commented on 20 March 2018 at 4:23 pm UTC

ShmerlIt should be better indeed. What is your Mesa version? It could be some regression, which hit Mesa 17.x a few times. Try Mesa master.
Should run fine on 17.3.6 as well:

Can't hurt to test 18.0 or even latest git of course. If you're running anything older than 17.2 then I'd say it's time to upgrade anyway, IIRC mesa-glthread was a pretty big improvement for this game.

mirv commented on 20 March 2018 at 6:59 pm UTC

Latest mesa git (well, it's about week behind) and the game runs quite nicely for me.
To be fair, it runs really really well....up until it freezes and hangs X during the tutorial mission. I seem to recall the tutorial being a little that way inclined though, and I don't exactly run a supported system to begin with.

But, compared to when I last tried - yeah, I could definitely see the improvement.

jaycee commented on 20 March 2018 at 9:17 pm UTC

mirvLatest mesa git (well, it's about week behind) and the game runs quite nicely for me.
To be fair, it runs really really well....up until it freezes and hangs X during the tutorial mission. I seem to recall the tutorial being a little that way inclined though, and I don't exactly run a supported system to begin with.

But, compared to when I last tried - yeah, I could definitely see the improvement.

To be fair if it's freezing X11 it's probably a driver bug causing the compositor to die, or something like that.. we dont really talk to X11 itself apart from via libSDL. I seem to remember you're using Gentoo, so yeah, there be dragons

The tutorial's pretty crap to be honest The thing I used to use to test the game with was the lobby part of the Arena mode.

mirv commented on 20 March 2018 at 9:25 pm UTC

jaycee
mirvLatest mesa git (well, it's about week behind) and the game runs quite nicely for me.

To be fair if it's freezing X11 it's probably a driver bug causing the compositor to die, or something like that.. we dont really talk to X11 itself apart from via libSDL. I seem to remember you're using Gentoo, so yeah, there be dragons

The tutorial's pretty crap to be honest The thing I used to use to test the game with was the lobby part of the Arena mode.

There be dragons high on adderall!

Yeah, I don't think it's a witcher 2 problem. I'll keep poking at it from time to time. Fortunately remote ssh works just fine so I can reboot cleanly.

The main thing to take home though is: the game does run pretty damned good!

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts