Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 2: current performance?
Page: «4/5»
  Go to:
tuubi Sep 7, 2016
Quoting: Grifter
Quoting: tuubi(I wish someone was brave enough to develop a modern open world RPG without any combat at all.)

Well, I don't know about modern exactly... A Tale In The Desert is an open-world mmorpg without combat, it's been around for over ten years though it has changed iterations during that time. I played it way back when in the beta, not exactly my type of game, but assuming they stuck to their core ideas it might be perfect for you.

http://atitd.com
Thanks, never heard of that one. I don't do MMO though. I should have specified single player. But I guess the "modern" is optional, I'd be fine with an old-school, top-down rpg as well.
Appelsin Mar 20, 2018
Ressurectuing this thread, as I've just started playing Witcher 2 :)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong with Witcher 2? I have set it to High, and then customized a bit, but my framerate is still choppy. Running around Flotsam gives me about 14-20 FPS, while going outside at the harbour will at "good" spots give me about 20-25.

Game-graphics cutscenes and conversations are so-so, a bit choppy, but not terrible. However, cinematics, like the comic book ones and the intro cinematic are very choppy, and the audio is stuttery with "static" or "interference" noises.

My impression, according to what I've seen reported elsewhere (e.g. this chap, posting on reddit, is that this is really below what I should expect with my hardware now. Is there any performance difference between the GOG and the Steam versions? Is it as simple as my system not being able to handle the game at High? I've tried searching for solutions, but all I've found was that setting it to "beta" might be worth it, but I dunno if that's even relevant any more.

System:
Intel i5 6600K
AMD RX480
Steam-install with linux_public_beta enabled for W2.
Kubutnu 17.10 with backports.

Current settings are:

Resolution: 1920*1080 (on a 34" 3440*1440 monitor, so it's side-letterboxed)
Fullscreen: Enabled
Ratio: 16:9

Texture Downscaling: None
Texture Memory Size: Very large
Shadow Quality: Medium
Number of Shadowed Lights: Medium
LOD Distance: Normal
Bloom: Disabled
Light Shafts: Enabled
Anti-alising: Enabled
Blur Effects: Disabled
Depth of Field (DoF) - Gameplay: Enabled
Vignette: Enabled
Wet Surfaces Rain Effect: Enabled
SSAO: Enabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Cinematic DoF: Disabled
DoF - Cutscenes: Disabled
Dangling Objects Limit: Disabled
UberSampling: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Enabled
Decals: High spec
Ehvis Mar 20, 2018
I agree that you should be getting more. I ran on 3440x1440 (although the game cropped it to 2560x1440) with most settings on maximum (ubersampling disabled though). Cutscenes were a bit low on the FPS due to the Depth of Field settings being left on, but the normal game ran 40-60 fps, which was perfectly smooth with G-SYNC on.
Shmerl Mar 20, 2018
It should be better indeed. What is your Mesa version? It could be some regression, which hit Mesa 17.x a few times. Try Mesa master.

If you want to test GOG version, you can get it here (using your Steam game code): https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup
YoRHa-2B Mar 20, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIt should be better indeed. What is your Mesa version? It could be some regression, which hit Mesa 17.x a few times. Try Mesa master.
Should run fine on 17.3.6 as well:
[

Can't hurt to test 18.0 or even latest git of course. If you're running anything older than 17.2 then I'd say it's time to upgrade anyway, IIRC mesa-glthread was a pretty big improvement for this game.
Appelsin Mar 21, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIt should be better indeed. What is your Mesa version? It could be some regression, which hit Mesa 17.x a few times. Try Mesa master.

If you want to test GOG version, you can get it here (using your Steam game code): https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

§ glxinfo | grep Mesa
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.8
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.2.8

Planning to try the GOG version (already own it on both platforms) when I'm back from traveling.
Would Mesa master be the same as the Padoka PPA mentioned?

Quoting: GuestThe GOG version should be no different to the Steam version if memory serves. I cant remember what the last "linux_public_beta" had in it either, but I dont think it was any improvements to rendering

The stuttery audio would suggest to me you may have a problem with interrupt storms happening. I did notice this at some point during using Mesa. The latest Mesa 18 should help - you can easily get this from the Padoka PPA.

Im also not sure if GOG actually released our latest patch. If they didnt, it's here: http://developer.vpltd.com/public/witcher2_gog/witcher2-gog-20150306204412.tgz

The game, downloaded from GOG, identifies as "gog_the_witcher_2_assassins_of_kings_enhanced_edition_2.2.0.8", if that helps. I will look into installing the patch when I get back home. The "linux_public_beta" was really just some desperate move, as I expect anything that was in that channel to have been merged to release ages ago. Just had to try it.
However, is there any tricks to installing it? As I'm currently away from my desktop for a while, and only have a Macbook for traveling, I can't really attempt it atm.

I could try upgrading to the Padoka PPA (mentioned here, I assume), to see if that fixes it. From the article i linked, I trust it's a more or less stable release channel, that won't risk interfering (negatively) with my system much? (Not that experienced in Linux yet).

It did seem strange to me that it would run so bad, to I'm glad to hear you guys confirming my suspicion. Then at least I can try do something, besides pulling out my hair.
Shmerl Mar 21, 2018
Quoting: AppelsinOpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.8

That's outdated. Try newer Mesa please.

Can't say about Padoka, I'm not using Ubuntu, but I suppose they can offer latest release Mesa and latest Mesa master (development version). So try one of them.
Appelsin Mar 22, 2018
Okay, thanks, I'll be sure to update to a newer version as soon as I get home.

From what I'm reading now, searching for Mesa, I get the impression that whichever version of Mesa that is -it- when shipping a new version of Ubuntu, is the one you're stuck with. Is this correct? Or are they just really conservative with sending new versions to users via offical Ubuntu channels?
Appelsin Mar 23, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: AppelsinOkay, thanks, I'll be sure to update to a newer version as soon as I get home.

From what I'm reading now, searching for Mesa, I get the impression that whichever version of Mesa that is -it- when shipping a new version of Ubuntu, is the one you're stuck with. Is this correct? Or are they just really conservative with sending new versions to users via offical Ubuntu channels?

Not true. You can add a PPA to get a much newer version of Mesa. The most well known one is Padoka.

I'll try rephrasing my question:) What I'm wondering is whether or not Ubuntu is pushing updates to Mesa via the default channels, i.e. normal updates, or if they only update it once (or twice) a year, with each x.04 (and x.10) release, i.e. "whichever Mesa is current when Canonical ships e.g. 17.10 is the version which you'll have until you upgrade to 18.04, unless you actively add a PPA such as Padoka or x-swat to get the latest updates".

PS: In other news, I'm able to run Witcher 2 on ultra on my Macbook (though I didn't try with Ubersampling enabled), which suggests that my PC should handle it like cake. Also, I'm very happy to report, Witcher 2 has managed to actually sync Steam Cloud Save from Linux to Mac! And with a Flatpak Steam at that <3
Shmerl Mar 23, 2018
Quoting: AppelsinWhat I'm wondering is whether or not Ubuntu is pushing updates to Mesa via the default channels, i.e. normal updates

I think they don't do it well enough, that's why people rely on external repos. If you want to have up to date Mesa automatically, I recommend not to use Ubuntu to begin with, but to use a rolling distro.

Take a look also how to build Mesa yourself, and use it without disrupting system installed package: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Building_Mesa_from_source
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.