The Rabbit and The Owl - Cooperative puzzle-platformer game
formalsheep Sep 22, 2016
Hi there!

My name is Gary. I'm new to this website. I hope this won't be seen as spam; if so I apologize. I recently spoke with someone named Andrew Pam who was inquiring about support for my game, The Rabbit and The Owl for Linux. He said he's active in these forums and recommended that I post it here. Andrew found me through my Kickstarter campaign which is currently entering it's final week shortly (ends October 1).

I am using Unity 5 and will subsequently port to at least the Ubuntu and SteamOS platforms.

Here's a quick run-down of the game: it's a cooperative negative space puzzle-platformer that uses the idea of separating levels into light and dark areas with a character in each. They help each other solve puzzles and get to their goals through means that transcend their physical barriers.

Check out the Kickstarter for more detailed information on the game. If you like it, please support us! A copy of the game itself is just a $10 pledge. I'm not sure how big the Linux gaming crowd is, so it would be nice to see more tangible evidence of interest in supporting the platform :)

I've tried building a Linux version through Unity. This is my first time trying this, and I have not tested this at all since I currently don't have Linux installed on any of my machines to test yet. I thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully this will work for you.

Dropbox link (Linux, UNTESTED)

If not, there's a Windows/Mac demo here.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!
Ehvis Sep 23, 2016
I'll have a look when my weekend starts. Unity 5 usually works pretty well on Ubuntu like systems.

As for the size of the Linux market. At this moment it appears to be around the 1% range. With some exceptions here and there. Since there's not a lot of data publicly available, it's hard to determine.
tuubi Sep 23, 2016
Gave it a quick spin on my coffee break. Everything seems to work fine on Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). Both full screen and windowed mode seemed OK at "carrot" quality (what?). My Logitech F-310 gamepad was detected and worked great as well.

I only tried the first few levels, but I can definitely see myself enjoying this game, maybe co-op with the wife even. I don't do crowdfunding, but I'd definitely love to see the game released on Linux.
damarrin Sep 23, 2016
Yeah, works for me too on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04. It's pretty great.

One thing I found cumbersome was playing on the keyboard and having to reach over to the mouse to place blocks, especially when coming back to the character with the block, having to click the right mouse button to be able to move. I think just starting to move should be enough to exit block-placing mode and start moving.
Ehvis Sep 27, 2016
As with the others, it ran fine for me. I also tried it from within Steam and that also worked. So it looks like this will be a pretty painless Linux export.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.