You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Is gamingonlinux.com blocked?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
ageres Sep 28, 2016
Quoting: MadVillainbut it's just gives me timeout error after very long wait.
I get an error instantly. I suppose, it depends on an ISP.
badber Sep 28, 2016
It's possible to configure Cloudflare to allow Tor but by default I think users from Tor get blocked (or forced to solve captchas on every Cloudflare site they visit). See here for details on the configuration.
I assumed GOL had made that configuration change since I hadn't been served a CAPTCHA while visiting through Tor.
badber Sep 28, 2016
Sorry, managed to accidentally repost once again...
m2mg2 Sep 29, 2016
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: m2mg2The captcha's aren't a problem with settings, it is a problem with Cloudfare itself. Cloudfare acts as if anonymous viewers are somehow malicious. If it can't monitor you, you must not be real right? I'm pretty sure all sites using Cloudfare generate captcha's for viewers on TOR. I went to the site in TOR and can confirm it requests captcha's, and not nice ones but all kinds of crazy garbage. I've had to sit through ~1 minute of captcha screens to get to a Cloudfare site.
Someone on reddit said it was solved after I changed the settings.

I just checked myself using TOR, no captcha for me.

I suppose it may have something to do with my ISP or region as well, I get captcha's on all cloudfare sites I go to in TOR.
badber Sep 29, 2016
Quoting: m2mg2
Quoting: m2mg2The captcha's aren't a problem with settings, it is a problem with Cloudfare itself. Cloudfare acts as if anonymous viewers are somehow malicious. If it can't monitor you, you must not be real right? I'm pretty sure all sites using Cloudfare generate captcha's for viewers on TOR. I went to the site in TOR and can confirm it requests captcha's, and not nice ones but all kinds of crazy garbage. I've had to sit through ~1 minute of captcha screens to get to a Cloudfare site.

I suppose it may have something to do with my ISP or region as well, I get captcha's on all cloudfare sites I go to in TOR.

I absolutely get them on countless Cloudflare sites as well, but I don't get them on GOL. Your ISP and region definitely should have nothing to do with it if you're using TOR.
m2mg2 Sep 29, 2016
Quoting: badber

I absolutely get them on countless Cloudflare sites as well, but I don't get them on GOL. Your ISP and region definitely should have nothing to do with it if you're using TOR.

Maybe the security changes took a while to propagate changes across regions. I'll try again when I get back to the command center.
badber Sep 29, 2016
Quoting: badber

Maybe the security changes took a while to propagate changes across regions. I'll try again when I get back to the command center.

Maybe, but I wasn't getting CAPTCHAs on GOL via TOR (heh) even before Liam adjusted the settings.

While multiple TOR exits do not seem to be blocked by Cloudflare for GOL I'm sure a TOR exit could get blocked for reasons not directly connected to TOR as well. You might have tried connecting through one of those when you did see the captchas. Almost none of the sites using Cloudflare bother configuring it to be TOR-friendly (and I guess stick to defaults) so that's why you still get CAPTCHAed by them.
m2mg2 Sep 29, 2016
Update: It worked without a capture for the first time just now!
Roses Oct 1, 2016
It's not your ISP. It's cloudflare being a uninformed pain in the butt.

https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/cloudflare
Liam Dawe Oct 1, 2016
Since it's causing more issues than it has helped with, as of now I have moved away from Cloudflare to our own nameservers.

It may take up to 48 hours for some of you to be fully refreshed with your ISP.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.