Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Steam Controller just third in line behind xbox-controllers
Sil_el_mot Oct 5, 2016
Hello there,

i hope some of the clever guys in this forum can help me.
first of all, i am not that long with linux, so dont hate me, for asking easy questions.

my problem is, that the steamcontroller seems to be in second line, behind my xbox-controllers. everytime they are plugged in, some games dont want to let me use the steam-thing.
in the same moment i plug the xbox ones out, the steamcontroller can magically be used.

i red some things about udev rules, and tried, figured out the js0 and js1 - connections and vendor and so on for the xboxcontrollers, but now i am somewhat helpless. do i have to change the 99-steam-controller-somewhat.rules or do i have to create a new rules-file?

i thought i read smth like this some weeks before in one of the comments to one article on the main page, but i couldnt find it anymore.

i would appreciate the help.
thanks in advance
melkemind Oct 6, 2016
It's going to vary widely based on the game because many games use different input schemes. It's worth noting that the Steam controller will not be viewed as an xinput controller by default. It only emulates one if you tell it to in the game configuration within Steam. Outside of Steam, it will emulate a mouse and keyboard.
Sil_el_mot Oct 6, 2016
ok, so if i use it only inside steam, it emulates an xinput. can i somhow set up, that it is the primary then?

sure, i am able to plug off the other controllers, if i play just as player one and alone, but if i play with friends (the main purpose of my steambox) i want to use the steamcontroller and as the host i also need to be player 1... but now i am always player 3 and often even cannot navigate in menus etc.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.