Is it a good idea to get Rocket League in my situation
Smilex Oct 27, 2016
Hey,

recently I tried Rocket League at a friend's, on his PS4 and it was and always seems to be amazing, so naturally I am considering buying it.
I'm hoping to get some input on some questions, so that I'm not yet again buying a game I'll only touch once.

1. Does Rocket League work well with a keyboard and without a mouse? I'm hoping the camera lock on mode is a good replacement for the mouse
2. Is Rocket League enjoyable with high latency and an unstable internet connection?
3. In a couple of months I'll have 4 joysticks. Can my hardware run a local 4 player Rocket League match, and is it even a possibility with the game?
4. Can I play with people on other platforms? Also PS4 players
5. Does the game still have an active online community?
6. Does the game require an internet connection to play locally?

I have a Thinkpad with the following specs:

-`
                  .o+`                 ian@arch
                 `ooo/                 OS: Arch Linux
                `+oooo:                Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.8.4-1-ARCH
               `+oooooo:               Uptime: 1h 55m
               -+oooooo+:              Packages: 891
             `/:-:++oooo+:             Shell: bash 4.3.46
            `/++++/+++++++:            Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:           WM: dwm
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`         CPU: Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.8GHz
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`        GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
        .oossssso-
`/ossssss+` RAM: 1244MiB / 7871MiB
-osssssso. :ssssssso.
:osssssss/ osssso+++.
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/-
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+-
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/
```
Xpander Oct 27, 2016
buy it.. try it and if it doesnt work for you as expected then refund it. you have 2 hours playtime during 14 days to test it out if im not mistaken
g000h Oct 28, 2016
Hi,

Helping with some of your questions:

3. I have played local 2-player on my Linux machine. I imagine local 4-player won't be a problem.
Also noting that I have used official Xbox 360 *and* non-official Xbox 360 gamepads with Rocket League and they worked perfectly.

4. You can certainly play with all the Windows PC players. Not so sure about versus Playstation / Xbox users.

5. It's a very popular game, and it follows that it has a very active online community. Plenty of people on the servers to play against!

Hope that is of use.
MaCroX95 Oct 28, 2016
I can confirm that cross platform works but there's a catch, you can play with Windows players against PS/XBoX players but you can't team up with them. :)
Liam Dawe Oct 29, 2016
I wouldnt go playing online in it with a bad connection, as all it will do is end up annoying people.
Smilex Oct 30, 2016
Quoting: liamdaweI wouldnt go playing online in it with a bad connection, as all it will do is end up annoying people.
I wouldn't want to. But I was thinking that I would be playing with friends, who knew that it could happen. In that case it might have been worth it.

Do you guys know if you can mix local and online players?x
commella Nov 2, 2016
1- Yes with autocam.
2- Enjoyable yes, playable no haha.
3- I've only tested 2 and this works well.
4- Yes, PSYNET players are xbox or ps4.
5- Yes, It was recently updated with new map and cars.
6- No, you can play offline with bots and friends.
7- Yes, you can mix local and online players.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.