You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: 1/9»
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Nov 22, 2016
Hey Guys!

This forum has no topics?! Okay! Solution!

What is your favourite Linux IDE and why?

Personally, I now prefer "Geany" simply because it is fast and lightweight and "just works" I used to love Eclipse but release after release it just felt heavier, slower and slower in the end I ditched it and went Geany. Honestly best decision I ever made!

What's your story?
tuubi Nov 22, 2016
Geany is awesome. I've been using it for a few years now. Rather simple and no-frills, but with some plugins it works pretty much exactly how I expect a code editor to work and has all the features I need. A hearty recommendation from me as well.
Guppy Nov 22, 2016
I use geany for all my development needs at work ( PHP ) - but it's only an editor not an idea.
I tried and really liked Brackets.io, sadly it's it doesn't support live edit via FTP which makes it rather useless for the way I develop. ( Fireftp on the dev server -> open in geany, save auto pushes the file )

For C++ development I've stuck to Code::Blocks, mostly I suspect because it reminds me of Dev-C++

I've tried both Anjuta and Eclipse, but they both seem to think that they should taker over the organization of my files which I really dislike.
Guppy Nov 22, 2016
@stan: I believe that there is a geany plugin that lets you do project management, not sure how well it works.
Ben D Nov 22, 2016
I use Github Atom for HTML/Jscript and Eclipse for Java; I've dabbled in a couple of other languages and IDEs, but I'm not really proficient with any.
Liam Dawe Nov 22, 2016
Another vote for Atom here, a few annoyances, but I find it to be less annoying than everything else I've tried.
Ehvis Nov 22, 2016
I do almost everything in Geany as well. For everything from assembly to C++.
badber Nov 23, 2016
Emacs. I think it qualifies as an IDE but it's not just that. Getting to do email, bookmarking & notes, chat and so on in the same app and being able to modify absolutely everything and being able to write a bit of elisp every time you get an idea for something that would make your workflow smoother is amazing. I do recommend not sticking with the default keybindings for the most often used stuff though, taking inspiration from something like Ergoemacs is better.
Blauer_Hunger Nov 23, 2016
I like QtCreator for C/C++ (earlier I used Code::Blocks, but that was too unstable for me, so I looked for something different), but I'm thinking about switching to KDevelop 5. For Python I have to use PyCharm because my university wants me to. When I did much with Java, I used Eclipse. For everything else I prefer a simple Kate (or gedit when I'm not on a KDE Desktop).
Guppy Nov 23, 2016
Quoting: liamdaweAnother vote for Atom here, a few annoyances, but I find it to be less annoying than everything else I've tried.

Last I looked at it it was mac only - tried it again today, so far I am impressed.

All off the ftp plugins are crap, but it at least understands gvfs ( even if I need to use nemo/finder to mount first ) not perfect, but it has a good chance of becoming my new daily editor
hurt138 Nov 23, 2016
I do like Atom a fair amount, but also tend to use gedit for quick changes.

Komodo Edit (Free version of KomodoIDE) is nice, but a little heavy for my needs.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.