Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: «6/9»
  Go to:
natis1 Oct 3, 2017
I'm definitely in the minority. My projects are in c++ and for that I use Kdevelop.
still-dreaming-1 Oct 4, 2017
I - Integrated = init.vim: My Neovim config file that integrates everything I want into Neovim exactly the way I want
D - Development = Neovim: My primary development tool
E - Environment = Solus: My current favorite Linux distribution.
diego2311 Oct 5, 2017
I use neovim for everything (Mainly Ruby, HTML, Javascript, C++).
Kam Jan 16, 2018
vim + grep + ninja for C/C++ dev.

I tried different ide, but find myself more efficient with simple tools I control than with tools that tries to help me and take control.
dvd Jan 16, 2018
I mostly use gnu emacs, although i don't do very much "coding" in it. Found it to be a good tool for taking notes. I eventually want to do more with it, but i'm a dummy so it takes a while to learn even the basic stuff.
BlackBloodRum Feb 9, 2018
Interesting to see so many replies here! :-D. I like "still-dreaming-1"'s post a lot though, that's one way to look at IDE's!

I can't possibly try every IDE mentioned here, but I'm glad to see that there are so many options. Personally I'm still using geany though.

Thanks for all the responses though! :-D. Nice to see I'm not the only Linux'er who uses it for development purposes.

Feel free to list any other IDE's you may use :-).
Grimfist Mar 21, 2018
I am still a fan of Eclipse and IntelliJ at the same time.
If you put in some effort Eclipse is the real deal, especially when integrating things like XText code generation, Maven build lifecycles, JIRA integration for issues and projects, Application Server & Docker integration.
Yes these things work (mostly) out of the box in IntelliJ, but can also work in Eclipse if you take your time.

But ok, these features are mostly useful in an enterprise development environment, for home use I still prefer out of the box experience ;)
qptain Nemo May 10, 2018
Kate.

My only real requirement is split views, being able to see and edit the same or different files in several different places at the same time. Kate does that well and I like the rest of its features well enough so I'm happy with it.
Shmerl May 13, 2018
Quoting: diego2311I use neovim for everything (Mainly Ruby, HTML, Javascript, C++).

I use neovim too.
johnc Aug 16, 2018
I use QTCreator as well. SailfishOS uses a modified version that I also use with MER for app development.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.