You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Favourite Linux IDE?
chris.echoz commented on 24 October 2018 at 5:59 pm UTC

I always use vi or vim if the vi executable is symlinked to vim. It is on my system so I suppose Vim would be the final answer, although there's nothing wrong with just vi.

Guppy commented on 26 October 2018 at 4:29 am UTC

Been using Atom since my last post here ( 2 years ago already? :o ) until recently that is - the editor has just become so slow and unresponsive even on small files. It's properly my fault for loading why too many nifty addons, but that was kind of the selling point of the editor.

I've switched to Visual studio code with the atom dark theme, so far my only complaint (other than having to relearn keyboard short cuts) has been that there does not seem to be any way to get a method/function outline?

Samsai commented on 26 October 2018 at 2:35 pm UTC

Figured I'd also update this thread. I switched to Vim somewhat recently and then proceeded to check out Neovim. Not much of a difference between the two to my untrained eye, but I stuck to Neovim since that's what cool kids seem to be using these days. I've got it configured with Syntastic and YouCompleteMe for basic IDE functionality and I'm quite happy with it, definitely happier than I was with Geany, although Geany is still installed on my systems just in case.

j3kyl commented on 4 November 2018 at 11:32 am UTC

Emacs, VSCode. Java development!

Stupendous Man commented on 30 November 2018 at 8:30 pm UTC

Vim; most programming I do these days are small scripts. Vim with syntax highlighting is perfect for this, and installed on basically all Linux machines and VMs.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts