You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: «5/9»
  Go to:
peta77 Aug 12, 2017
mainly working with emacs (plus some extension scripts)... it's still the fastest and most versatile way to write and edit code for me; especially if you also work on the documentation, configuration, scripts, ... other IDEs are too focused on a single language and totally ignore that there's a lot more than some source-code files to create and maintain a program..

sometimes using Qt-creator (mainly when doing stuff for android)....

for simple single file "projects" vim or mousepad.
Duke Takeshi Aug 18, 2017
Eclipse all the way
silmeth Aug 23, 2017
IntelliJ Idea and Pycharm – at work and at home for Java, Kotlin, Rust and Python. Haven’t ever used a better IDE (though, it has limited features outside of JVM world, eg. no debugging for Rust).

Beside it I normally use two editors:

vim – for simple text editing, mostly changing some config files.

Kate – if I’m forced to do some changes to some bigger shell or js codebase.

And I used to use Code::Blocks back at the university for C and C++ projects – but never really did anything big in them, requiring more complex refactoring, so not sure if I’d recommend it now as a full-blown IDE. It’s simple, and works well for smaller things.
F.Ultra Aug 31, 2017
Never felt the need for a full blown IDE, but then I don't code GUI applications where perhaps an IDE is very well suited (at least that is what I've heard). So I'm only using Gedit and nano.
F.Ultra Sep 2, 2017
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: F.UltraNever felt the need for a full blown IDE, but then I don't code GUI applications where perhaps an IDE is very well suited (at least that is what I've heard). So I'm only using Gedit and nano.

Less GUI, more size and complexity of codebase I think. Depends on your definition of an IDE too. I'm still using qt-creator for example (emacs too, depends what I'm working on), but only for the indexing and code completion. All compiling, debugging, etc, is done via command line.

Perhaps, however I wrote a commercial competitor to Amazon EC2 and S3 back in 2007 using nano over ssh (I was forced to use a shitty windows machine at the time and did the coding on a debian machine over ssh). But then games (which I guess is the main programming around here) might have a far more complex codebase than what I as a systems programmer normally experience. Could be a language difference as well, I mean most Object Oriented projects that I have seen seams to consist of many small files.
krisguy Sep 11, 2017
To add to the mess, I alternate between Atom and MS Visual Studio Code for my coding needs. Since I use Python at work and Python, Perl, and node.js for personal projects, both work well. The only thing that keeps me coming back to VS Code is built-in terminal and a cleaner look out of the box.
khalismur Sep 27, 2017
JetBrains's IDEs are great.

I use Rider and PyCharm.
stretch611 Sep 27, 2017
Without a doubt... Sublime Text. Their homepage has a short visual demo. Lightweight and fast... multiple languages supported, easy to use config files, add-ons, the ability to edit multiple lines at once... my favorite editor since I found it. The best feature... you can open files the normal way with the full open/choose directory/choose file... but instead, hit CTRL-P type a partial filename and all matches from the entire project are displayed as you type.

Technically, a text editor instead of a full blown IDE... but with the add-ons it does everything you will most likely need.
spoonie_au Oct 1, 2017
I'm just starting out programming (a bit of career change).

Atom C++
QT Creator (QT5 C++)
Ninja-IDE (python).
Trump Oct 2, 2017
Figured I'd update my old response as now days I use NeoVIM+Tmux+tweaked config file and also Atom text editor with several packages to make it feel more comfortable like NeoVIM.
Also I use either editor for C++ or web-dev stuff.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.