You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. Funding me on Patreon allows us to have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed articles. Just good content for you to keep up with Linux gaming. Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
  Go to:
Favourite Linux IDE?
F.Ultra commented on 31 August 2017 at 9:20 pm UTC

Never felt the need for a full blown IDE, but then I don't code GUI applications where perhaps an IDE is very well suited (at least that is what I've heard). So I'm only using Gedit and nano.

mirv commented on 1 September 2017 at 2:51 pm UTC

F.UltraNever felt the need for a full blown IDE, but then I don't code GUI applications where perhaps an IDE is very well suited (at least that is what I've heard). So I'm only using Gedit and nano.

Less GUI, more size and complexity of codebase I think. Depends on your definition of an IDE too. I'm still using qt-creator for example (emacs too, depends what I'm working on), but only for the indexing and code completion. All compiling, debugging, etc, is done via command line.

F.Ultra commented on 2 September 2017 at 4:39 pm UTC

mirv
F.UltraNever felt the need for a full blown IDE, but then I don't code GUI applications where perhaps an IDE is very well suited (at least that is what I've heard). So I'm only using Gedit and nano.

Less GUI, more size and complexity of codebase I think. Depends on your definition of an IDE too. I'm still using qt-creator for example (emacs too, depends what I'm working on), but only for the indexing and code completion. All compiling, debugging, etc, is done via command line.

Perhaps, however I wrote a commercial competitor to Amazon EC2 and S3 back in 2007 using nano over ssh (I was forced to use a shitty windows machine at the time and did the coding on a debian machine over ssh). But then games (which I guess is the main programming around here) might have a far more complex codebase than what I as a systems programmer normally experience. Could be a language difference as well, I mean most Object Oriented projects that I have seen seams to consist of many small files.

krisguy commented on 11 September 2017 at 2:56 pm UTC

To add to the mess, I alternate between Atom and MS Visual Studio Code for my coding needs. Since I use Python at work and Python, Perl, and node.js for personal projects, both work well. The only thing that keeps me coming back to VS Code is built-in terminal and a cleaner look out of the box.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook