Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Favourite Linux IDE?
diego2311 commented on 5 October 2017 at 10:42 am UTC

I use neovim for everything (Mainly Ruby, HTML, Javascript, C++).

Kam commented on 16 January 2018 at 12:07 pm UTC

vim + grep + ninja for C/C++ dev.

I tried different ide, but find myself more efficient with simple tools I control than with tools that tries to help me and take control.

dvd commented on 16 January 2018 at 3:03 pm UTC

I mostly use gnu emacs, although i don't do very much "coding" in it. Found it to be a good tool for taking notes. I eventually want to do more with it, but i'm a dummy so it takes a while to learn even the basic stuff.

BlackBloodRum commented on 9 February 2018 at 7:46 pm UTC

Interesting to see so many replies here! :-D. I like "still-dreaming-1"'s post a lot though, that's one way to look at IDE's!

I can't possibly try every IDE mentioned here, but I'm glad to see that there are so many options. Personally I'm still using geany though.

Thanks for all the responses though! :-D. Nice to see I'm not the only Linux'er who uses it for development purposes.

Feel free to list any other IDE's you may use :-).

Grimfist commented on 21 March 2018 at 10:23 am UTC

I am still a fan of Eclipse and IntelliJ at the same time.
If you put in some effort Eclipse is the real deal, especially when integrating things like XText code generation, Maven build lifecycles, JIRA integration for issues and projects, Application Server & Docker integration.
Yes these things work (mostly) out of the box in IntelliJ, but can also work in Eclipse if you take your time.

But ok, these features are mostly useful in an enterprise development environment, for home use I still prefer out of the box experience

lyr3 commented on 9 May 2018 at 7:07 pm UTC

GNU Emacs.

It lets us integrates external elisp code, has great support for most programming languages and its killer feature Org-mode.

I mainly submit bug fixes in GNU projects and some interesting free/open source projects!

C, Lisp dialects as CL & Emacs Lisp, and scripts in Bash and Ruby(complex ones)!

qptain Nemo commented on 10 May 2018 at 1:50 am UTC

Kate.

My only real requirement is split views, being able to see and edit the same or different files in several different places at the same time. Kate does that well and I like the rest of its features well enough so I'm happy with it.

Shmerl commented on 13 May 2018 at 2:11 pm UTC

diego2311I use neovim for everything (Mainly Ruby, HTML, Javascript, C++).

I use neovim too.

Hori commented on 13 May 2018 at 9:36 pm UTC

I use MonoDevelop, and sometimes VS Code. I'm a dotnet guy.

Yeah, yeah, I know, please don't throw stones at me!

I also use nano a lot when working with scripts, even tho it's not actually an IDE (that's why I like it).

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „The Secret of Monkey Island“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts