You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
How did you first start programming?
debianxfce commented on 31 August 2017 at 10:55 pm UTC

I typed the hangman game to Commodore PET from a computer magazine in 1979. Then we had Commodore 64 and because it was just released, I needed to type some games again. Then bulletin board systems came up and you could download games from them. After that I have worked with C/C++ and shitty java several years.

wolfyrion commented on 1 September 2017 at 5:41 am UTC

I dont know if LOGO can be considered as a programming language, that drawing app with the turtle?...

Well I started programming from a very young age , I thing 10-12 years old.
Did my first ascii game in basica with 3 lvls and text animation them moved to gwbasic!
I have created a DOS Application for a company to keep their contact records at a very young age

Then started assembly/c and c++ programming for school/college and as hobby ofc.
Then Visual Basic and html was the trend those days so I have started learning VB and HTML doing many cool stuff.

Then I got hired by a Document management company with cooperation with Filenet(IBM).
We did a lot of government projects , I did even a face recognition scanning software.After many work projects it made me hate programming.
Then another company with FoxPro programming wanted me to work for them, so I went to work for them where they made me totally quit programming.
I haven't done any serious programming for over 10 years (Just small scripts in order to automate some workflows for my work).
What I hate most in big companies is that you spend many hours doing miraculous programming that is like impossible to make it work and somehow it works and instead of rewarding you for your efforts and the way you did it , someone else is taking the credits for your work....

Anyway I am trying slowly slowly to start programming again but this time I will do the things that I like instead of doings things for other people even though doing things for other people was profitable.

Bad memories will always be an obstacle but hopefully I will overcome them and find the joy of programming once again.

F.Ultra commented on 2 September 2017 at 4:43 pm UTC

jayceeBASIC on a ZX Spectrum +2 in 1988ish (from reading the manual!)... AMOS then 68K Assembly language from 1994... Pascal under MS-DOS in college in 1998, C (MSVC 6) in 1999... i'll stop there

MSVC 6, the last usable version of MSVC they ever released (among other things it was the last version before they decided to do their insane completely vcredist). For many years I used MSVC6 to compile our stuff for Windows before finally switching over to GCC there as well.

Areso commented on 3 September 2017 at 5:26 am UTC

It was 2002 or so. I was a student in middle school, and in our school we have additional hours for maths, physics and informatics. So, on informatic lessons we wrote programs in QBasic45. In maths classes we have tonn of homework, and someday it was solving about hundred of quadratic equations. So, I got my father's book about programmng in Delphi 5, and wrote programm for solving this equations. I have Internet connection back there, but it was slow as Dial-up could be.... 28800 or 33600, so, it could be hour or two to download such programm... And not only 2 hours of time, but I remember it costs about $2/hour and for 12-years old boy in developing country it was not the smallest money...

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook