Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
For Linux by Linux (FLiBLi) Game
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Kyrottimus 10 Dec, 2016

Yesterday I sorta floated the idea here to make a game by the Linux community here, as a Linux exclusive because I'm tired of developers disregarding us out of hand when they run into a few minor development bumps (i.e. the deadline).

Had some interest from a few, I suggest if this is going to happen we get an outline of talent first, get a foundation for what kind of game we're going to push for, then get some of the assets made for it (at the most basic levels) before figuring out which engine to use.

Most of this sort of hinges on two things at this point: 1). A modern game engine which allows for native Linux development and 2.) Vulkan to minimize driver overhead. While we could use OpenGL, I think the potential for Vulkan would make more sense as it would allow for better future expandability.

Ideas, comments, concerns, interested parties, comment below. And just because I floated the idea don't presume or assume I want to lead this if there's enough interested parties. I have some decent ideas every once and awhile, but I'm sure there are others with a lot more experience with digital development and have a better grasp of what it entails who should be the ringleader.

I'll start with an overview suggestion for a game format *(just throwing this out there, I'm by no means married to this idea):

Sandbox FPS where the player can outline the scenario (factions, setting/location, theme, winning conditions, # of players, triggers, etc.), build a map easily and drop in assets from a tool-set, essentially creating a campaign or mission or any scenario (the greater number of game assets added over time, the larger and more re-playable the game, with users making lots of workshop content over time as well as user-generated scenarios/campaigns to share amongst the community). Would advocate the use of heavy realism in physics, not just with velocity, gravity, impact, etc but with firearm ballistics and the like.

I have a few others but I'll save them for later as I'm running late for work and have a dozen cm of snow to shovel off before I can drive xD

-Kyro

stan 10 Dec, 2016

So if it’s to be a Linux exclusive it means it will be closed-source, right?
And a freeware, unpaid project?

OLucasZanella 10 Dec, 2016

stanSo if it’s to be a Linux exclusive it means it will be closed-source, right?
We haven't thought thoroughly about this part yet, we just had the idea. If it seems like the exclusivity will get in the way in case we want to make it open source then maybe we'll drop it (but probably won't develop for other platforms still).
Yes, potentially a free game I think, even so because we wouldn't make much money out of it anyway.

Mohandevir 10 Dec, 2016

I like that!

Atm I'm a CAD designer using Solidworks, SolidEdge and Catia but in my "previous life" (15 years ago) I followed 3d animation courses... Obviously a refresh is needed and I don't know how I could fit in...

But I'm willing to contribute.

GamingOnLinux Studio is born? Lol! The perspective is awesome!

Kyrottimus 10 Dec, 2016

stanSo if it’s to be a Linux exclusive it means it will be closed-source, right?

I think whatever business model will work to get this made, make a good fun game, that gets people to try Linux or at least have a partition installed to play the game, would be the ultimate goal. As much as I love open source, and am a firm believer in it, I don't believe it is the best concept for every perceivable application. I think for OSes, Office Suites, drivers, and other utilities it's great. For entertainment, I haven't really seen many open source games that were really that good. 0AD is pretty polished but it's been in development for what...a decade?

Personally, I would say make the game closed source (mostly because there will be enough assets such as probably a licensed engine, middle-ware, and whatnot that we'll wind up using that are closed source anyway). I like the idea of a free-to-play game too, but with maybe cosmetic stuff for sale? Or let people make workshop content and the devs could get a % of all workshop sales? I'm not saying we should AIM for making money, though we shouldn't rule that out. If we wind up putting a ton of time into this, while gaming is a passion of mine, I for one won't rule out some means of income to keep us interested and motivated to keep updates/support alive long enough.

Basically, I think when/if this thing gels, all those who contribute to the development should receive a % of any revenue generated by the project. How would we determine that? Good question, I don't know. I've never done this before.

Again I'm just pushing the general concept of a For Linux/By Linux game. How it will be done needs to be hashed out. I think firstly those interested in getting this made should list their abilities and we should be looking for someone who has managed the production of some kind of digital goods (especially one who has done so with a remote team from around the world).

I for one mostly want a fun game to play, with lots of re-playability. As cliché as it sounds, that's what every game should be right? Now let's do it for Linux. It doesn't have to be overly complicated. Look at Rocket League. The game is relatively simple in concept with a really polished physics engine and great netcode and tons of customization, the overall execution of the game, as a smash hit, has a lot to do with the playability of it.

OLucasZanella...
We haven't thought thoroughly about this part yet, we just had the idea. If it seems like the exclusivity will get in the way in case we want to make it open source then maybe we'll drop it (but probably won't develop for other platforms still).
Yes, potentially a free game I think, even so because we wouldn't make much money out of it anyway.

We shouldn't rely on making any money with this game if it goes forward. It would be nice, but really it should be primarily a group of Linux gamers who want something of our own to claim, and have fun with, and it would be good experience too I think.

If down the road things are looking shiny, I wouldn't rule out making money on it. But it shouldn't be the only goal here. Granted, with most developers it gives them good motivation to put out something successful. For me, it would be increasing the Linux gaming playerbase and potentially giving us more of the market share, and I for one would love to see more day-1 Linux releases, native linux games (not ports) and maybe even Linux/SteamOS exclusives.

MohandevirI like that!

Atm I'm a CAD designer using Solidworks, SolidEdge and Catia but in my "previous life" (15 years ago) I followed 3d animation courses... Obviously a refresh is needed and I don't know how I could fit in...

But I'm willing to contribute.

GamingOnLinux Studio is born? Lol! The perspective is awesome!

Some people crowdsource funding, why not crowdsource talent? Might be a long list of contributors, developers, etc. and if there is profit to be had maybe a bit of a convoluted structure of revenue for whomever has contributed what within whatever % of it.

I have good attention to detail, but I'm dyslexic and organization is NOT my forté. It's not hard for someone to point out the destination on a map, but navigating to it is a probably best left for some who knows the terrain.

OLucasZanella 10 Dec, 2016

KyrottimusI like the idea of a free-to-play game too, but with maybe cosmetic stuff for sale?
I was thinking that. Although a game with high replayability would be great, I don't know how to do it, so it would need to be a "table discussion." I like the idea of a game with a nice story, free, and then down the road something like a payed DLC that expanded on the story (but not that it would finish it, just some more content) and the money would go to the contributors.

Some time ago I had the idea of making a visual novel, but all the assets available for an engine not yet released on Linux (I was waiting for that) were anime-like, which I didn't want.

rgalex 10 Dec, 2016

I want to be here as a programmer. I'm not experienced especifically at programming for games, but I consider myself for fast learning, and I'm interested in this as a serious learning experience.

If you want me in, I can.

stan 10 Dec, 2016

While money could be a motivation, it also makes any project much more complicated. The legal requirements are crazy, and also as you said you have to determine who deserves what.

Disk1of5 10 Dec, 2016

As discussed, count me in.
My background with game dev can go back to Slick2d, and more recently LibGDX.

Thanks!

Comandante Ñoñardo 10 Dec, 2016

If it were my decision, the hypothetical game must be available in two platforms: Linux and PS4.
Linux, because is the platform We love, and PS4 because is an established popular platform that is very far away from the two Microsoft's platforms.

If I understand well, Orbis (fork of FREEBSD) and Linux are both unix-like. :)
I don't know the situation at the graphic Api level. Are GNM and GNMX from the PS4 a fork of OpenGL or they are 100% invented by sony?

I don't see Playstation 4 as an enemy of the gaming on Linux; I see it as an ally...
You know what they said: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. ;)

About the game.
I suggest an episodic one.
Episode 1, FREE...
And if it has good reviews, then develop the rest of the game.

And what about the middleware to use?

salamanderrake 10 Dec, 2016

Comandante ÑoñardoIf it were my decision, the hypothetical game must be available in two platforms: Linux and PS4.
Linux, because is the platform We love, and PS4 because is an established popular platform that is very far away from the two Microsoft's platforms.

If I understand well, Orbis (fork of FREEBSD) and Linux are both unix-like. :)
I don't know the situation at the graphic Api level. Are GNM and GNMX from the PS4 a fork of OpenGL or they are 100% invented by sony?

I don't see Playstation 4 as an enemy of the gaming on Linux; I see it as an ally...
You know what they said: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. ;)

About the game.
I suggest an episodic one.
Episode 1, FREE...
And if it has good reviews, then develop the rest of the game.

And what about the middleware to use?

If you want to do anything on PS4, you guys may want to look at UE4, as they have a working editor on linux (thanks mostly to the community) they now have OpenGL4 feature complete support with the release of 4.14 (I assume, thanks to Epic) and its source is open(not open source per say, but it costs nothing to look at the source), and if you don't sell anything its free, if not, then for every $3,000 per-querter of gross profit its 5 or 10 percent (I can't remember, as I would need to look it up). Also, it would show epic that there is a desire for Linux developers using UE4 using a project, something the Linux UE4 community needs. Setting up a p4 or git server (gitlab for git) is easy for private use. And there are other benifits too it too.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts