Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Doom 2016
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
1xok Jan 15, 2017
I bought Doom 2016 yesterday. At first I was thrilled. It really works! With OpenGL and Vulkan. Then I noticed that the graphics does not look bad but also not outstanding. Especially the textures do not look so great. Also my graphics card (GTX 970) works straight with 50%.

So I go to the menu (extended settings) and set everything to ultra. But nothing changes. I set everything to minimum. But nothing changes. Vice versa again. Nothing.

So, what do I miss? Has anyone else made this experience?
Xpander Jan 16, 2017
nope, havent had that isasue, its pretty strange. maybe some permission issue for config files?

it does look amazing on ultra and runs amazingly well under wine also. with vulkan a lot better, but really good with opengl as well.
1xok Jan 18, 2017
Thank you Xpander! Tested again and yes there are slight differences.

I also watched YouTube videos and read reports that analyze the graphics.

I have a few questions. I'll try to stream it on Friday at 11pm (UTC+1). No guarantee.

https://www.twitch.tv/1xok
1xok Jan 18, 2017
Okay, today I did 10m of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNI-DQDwIQ0

You could skip the first 7 minutes. I played in ultra with vulkan. My graphics card (GTX 970) is only moderately loaded by the game. However, the graphic does not look ultra for me.

I can only stream in 720p, because of my bandwidth. But even in 1080p it does not seem convincing to me. Especially the texture filtering is unconvincing. You can see a grid in many areas. See this picture for example:

http://www.adriancourreges.com/img/blog/2016/doom2016/shot/80_dof_pre.jpg

Pay attention to the area around the left foot. So I think, this is not just under Wine the case. Or I'm doing anything wrong?

Regardless, Doom 2016 is a good game and definitely worth the 20 euros I paid for it. A straight-line shooter with an excellent artwork and the real Doom feeling. Under Vulkan it crashes sometimes. This always happens just before the start. During the game it has not crashed so far. Under OpenGL I have more problems with tearing and the graphics card is maybe 10-20% more loaded. For me Vulkan is so far the better choice.

I'll probably stream it on Friday. Let's see how far I come and whether it is really stable. It's a pity that Bethesda does not offer a Linux version. So far, only the campaign mode works with wine. But that's more than one could expect after all. Congratulations to the wine developers!
Ehvis Jan 19, 2017
That screenshot looks pretty bad. Low resolution, no depth of field, no reflections, no postprocessing, crap in the top left corner. Basically half the rendering features are missing. Things are definitely not right.
1xok Jan 19, 2017
Quoting: EhvisThat screenshot looks pretty bad. Low resolution, no depth of field, no reflections, no postprocessing, crap in the top left corner. Basically half the rendering features are missing. Things are definitely not right.

The picture has no depth of field. Is from this analysis:

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

I chose it because you can see the texture grid very well. But you can see such a grid in many places of Doom with everything set to ultra. Maybe I can show it a bit tomorrow if everything goes well and I can stream with a good enough quality. But as I said, that game is fun and is a great thing.
Ehvis Jan 20, 2017
Ah, now I get the source of the image. And it explains (some of) the other issues as well.

Anyway, the pattern looks a bit odd. I don't have the game, so I can't test it for myself. But there are a few 4k vids on youtube. Scaled back to 1080p those give quite a lot of detail to compare to. Is the grid visible on both OpenGL and Vulkan or just Vulkan?
1xok Jan 21, 2017
So, we had 1h Doom gameplay yesterday in my stream. Then the game hung during loading the next level. This happens sometimes. Until now, I have only observed it with Vulkan. However, I have not investigated it further because this bug occurs too rarely. Maybe I did not wait long enough. On the first start up yesterday, it took 3 minutes to get started. In the levels the game runs excellently with the exception of the music. Certain frequencies seem sometimes not to be played correctly. But you have to pay attention to it. Otherwise you may not notice this.

I was told by one viewer that the game looks the same in Windows.

This game is really fun. So I can advise to buy. But since only the campaign is playable and the game runs only under Wine, I would pay however not more than 20 Euro. Remember: No multiplayer, no snapmaps, no extras. And it is probably not as stable as under Windows.

I bought it over this Humble Bundle offer for 20 Euro:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/doom

The offer is valid for two days. But such offers are there for Doom more often in recent times. If it does not work for you now, just wait for the next one.

This is in my opinion a fair price for us Linux users. Naturally, it would be even more fair if Bethesda would finally port this game to Linux. But this will never happens with certainty.

EDIT: Multiplayer and Snapmap seems to work now. Not tested.
1xok Jan 21, 2017
Okay, could test it a little bit more. The game often hang-up during loading a save point or loading a new level. But this only seems to happen under vulcan. I had not had a single dropout with OpenGL. Unfortunately, under OpenGL I have a lot of problems with tearing. The display quality under vulkan is faultless. It can hardly be better. Runs very smoothly. But the hang-ups are very disturbing.

The only workaround is to go back to OpenGL and load the level. Then switch back to Vulkan and load the level. But to do this every time is also ugly, especially since Doom can load quite a long time.

Well, let's see if it will be better with a more current graphics card drivers. I use 375.20 so far.
Uncleivan Jan 21, 2017
Im trying to run doom steam version via wine staging and playonlinux on antergos and a GTX 1080 and the game doenst run either with the regular exe or vulkan exe. Is there anything specific i need to do?
Julius Jan 22, 2017
You made a 64 bit wine bottle for it?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.