Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
KDE System tray icons problem
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
MaCroX95 Jan 19, 2017
Hey guys I've recently switched to KDE Plasma 5.8 LTS desktop and I have a few questions for experienced KDE users.

1. When I click or double-click on system tray icons (example: Discord or Deluge) nothing happens, I need to right click and then "open Discord" to actually open it.

2. When I do it the second way and have chrome in fullscreen mode opened and open discord from the background, the chrome stays on the top and discord window actually stays in the bacground so I have to manually bring it forward by clicking on the taskbar.

EDIT: If anyone has the 2nd problem, it is easily solved by going to settings >> Window management >> Window behavior and in the window focus tab set the Focus stealing prevention to NONE. If anyone has a solution for the first problem, it would be still greatly appreciated!
subdiff Jan 20, 2017
I don't have a workaround for you right now, but I created a bug report on your behalf: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375351

Let's see if it's somehow fixable in general.
MaCroX95 Jan 20, 2017
Quoting: subdiffI don't have a workaround for you right now, but I created a bug report on your behalf: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375351

Let's see if it's somehow fixable in general.

Thanks! Hopefully things will be fixed eventually :)
subdiff Feb 2, 2017
Just a follow up: I wrote a workaround for your first complaint with https://phabricator.kde.org/R120:5d5518455d10406292495c6e6874eeeb7c4534f1

Sadly I can only give you the context menu, which you would also find by right clicking, since the Steam Linux client uses Ubuntu's tray icon API, which only supports this behaviour and not raising the window directly.

But it's better than the icon not reacting at all on a left click.
MaCroX95 Feb 2, 2017
Quoting: subdiffJust a follow up: I wrote a workaround for your first complaint with https://phabricator.kde.org/R120:5d5518455d10406292495c6e6874eeeb7c4534f1

Sadly I can only give you the context menu, which you would also find by right clicking, since the Steam Linux client uses Ubuntu's tray icon API, which only supports this behaviour and not raising the window directly.

But it's better than the icon not reacting at all on a left click.

How about the discord? Does it also just raise the menu I would get from right-clicking the menu? I've switched DE for the time until they fix the tray icons.
Liam Dawe Feb 2, 2017
Just a note, it seems the bug report https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375351 has been marked as resolved with a commit. Looks like if we stay up to date (yay Arch ftw) we will get the fix sometime :)

Edit: In fact, was that fix from you?
subdiff Feb 2, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95How about the discord? Does it also just raise the menu I would get from right-clicking the menu? I've switched DE for the time until they fix the tray icons.
Yes, only the menu. Is this somewhat different on other DEs? I assumed it's on every DE this way, since Discord also uses the Ubuntu API.

Quoting: liamdaweEdit: In fact, was that fix from you?
Yup. ;)
MaCroX95 Feb 2, 2017
Quoting: subdiff
Quoting: MaCroX95How about the discord? Does it also just raise the menu I would get from right-clicking the menu? I've switched DE for the time until they fix the tray icons.
Yes, only the menu. Is this somewhat different on other DEs? I assumed it's on every DE this way, since Discord also uses the Ubuntu API.

Quoting: liamdaweEdit: In fact, was that fix from you?
Yup. ;)

Ubuntu's unity has such interface yes :) Cinnamon, XFCE on the other hand have interfaces where you can single-click the icon and the window pops up, it would be really nice to have such functionality, but I guess if it's not possible I'll stick to Cinnamon for the time-being. I mean the tray is one of the most crucial things for my desktop usage since it really eases the workflow.
subdiff Feb 2, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95Ubuntu's unity has such interface yes :) Cinnamon, XFCE on the other hand have interfaces where you can single-click the icon and the window pops up[...]

I asked this question here beforehand and some user with XFCE said, that it opens the context menu on for him. So this is not true for XFCE, are you sure?
MaCroX95 Feb 3, 2017
Quoting: subdiff
Quoting: MaCroX95Ubuntu's unity has such interface yes :) Cinnamon, XFCE on the other hand have interfaces where you can single-click the icon and the window pops up[...]

I asked this question here beforehand and some user with XFCE said, that it opens the context menu on for him. So this is not true for XFCE, are you sure?

100% sure, at least for electron apps like Skype for Linux alpha, Discord and Wmail... Why would I lie about that? xD
subdiff Feb 4, 2017
Ok, so that on XFCE it opens the window directly only applies to Discord (and other electron apps) and not Steam, right?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.