Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Quake
Aspiring_Champion Feb 7, 2017
So, I've dusted off my old Quake CD and I've been having a tour down memory lane. What I've realised is that I've never played either of the Mission Packs - Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity. Given that Quake mods are basically .pak files that just get installed in a subdirectory under the /quake directory, am I safe to just buy them off Steam? I'm concerned that they have DRM'ed them somehow. Should I just grab them off GOG to be sure?

As a side note, I never realised how many engines are out there. I started with Quakespasm, and am now trying Darkplaces. Both work really well and are virtually unpack and play. Way back when I originally played, I was happy with the Linux binaries from id, and quakeworld.
Hamish Feb 7, 2017
I seriously doubt there would be any problems with the .pak files off of Steam when it comes to using them in source ports, and this is coming from someone who avoids Steams. That being said, I myself would buy them off of GOG.com for that reason unless you found an old boxed version of Quake: The Offering lying around, especially if its the one from Macmillan with the penguin on the front. ;)
Aspiring_Champion Feb 9, 2017
Thanks Hamish. I might just hang out for a deal on GOG.
Luke_Nukem Feb 14, 2017
For a really good free mission pack, check out Zerstorer! :D
Julius Feb 19, 2017
Arcane dimensions is also a great free mission pack.
neocron Feb 19, 2017
Maybe you'll find this thread on QuakeOne interesting.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.